• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel 9 upgrade to x3?

JoySigns

I have a number of questions that my searches haven't uncovered the answers to. I have a legal version of Corel 9 and have been happily using it for 6 years. Now my computer is getting old and slow. Some months ago this same computer crunched up the Corel disc 1 into hundreds of pieces. I stayed calm until I found out my backup copy of disc 1 is corrupted. When I get a new computer and want to upgrade to X3 can I do that without loading the old Corel 9? Also, I use CoCut pro for my plotter, does that have to be upgraded if I switch to X3? Does X3 really have better import filters for Illustrator files and have they really improved CorelTrace? thanks for any help.
Joy

Techman

i have x3 at i do not remember it asking me for the old 9 disk. And yes,, X3 is HOT..

But,, upgrading cocut pro may cost you a few bux,, cocut x3 is really good too. by the way,, much better than the old cocut pro 9

dclet

Does X3 really have better import filters for Illustrator files and have they really improved CorelTrace?

Corel trace is alot better, though they removed the center line option.... Illustrator files are smoother and it handles strokes better... not perfect but alot better.

You old version of cocut will work but not by clicking the macro you'd have top cut and paste( always fun in Windows)....or export - import if I remember correctly.

I'd suggest an upgrade of CoCut
What plotter?

Columbia Signs

I love Corel 9. By far one of the best version ever made.

I went from 9 to 10, back to 9...... 9 to 11 and back to 9 again. Then 9 to 12 and you guessed it... back to 9.

Now I have 13 and will never look back.

When I loaded 13 on the computer it did not ask for any previous version info.

Jackpine

If you buy an upgrade, there has to be a earlier version of Corel on your computer.X3 is the best yet. You will love it. New features and the trace is excellent.
I have a number of questions that my searches haven't uncovered the answers to. I have a legal version of Corel 9 and have been happily using it for 6 years. Now my computer is getting old and slow. Some months ago this same computer crunched up the Corel disc 1 into hundreds of pieces. I stayed calm until I found out my backup copy of disc 1 is corrupted. When I get a new computer and want to upgrade to X3 can I do that without loading the old Corel 9? Also, I use CoCut pro for my plotter, does that have to be upgraded if I switch to X3? Does X3 really have better import filters for Illustrator files and have they really improved CorelTrace? thanks for any help.
Joy

JoySigns

So since I can't load Corel 9 on my new computer because the disk is in crumbles I will have to buy the full version of x3 to get it? That sucks, I have all the pieces of that shattered disk. Do you suppose if I sent it to Corel they would help? Ha. Early on I did not back up the disk because I thought it was illegal. When I finally figured out that it is OK to back up for your own safety it was too late; The disk was scratched and my backup was corrupted. At least I got the fonts off of it.

SignManiac

You do not need the earlier version on your computer to install X3. The upgrade installs exactly the same way as a full version would.

Hey guys, I see that a number of you are using CoCut with your Corel? Can you tell me why? What does it do or add to your Corel?? And just my 2 cents......I think Corel X3 rocks.

Thanks,

Fine Line Darrel

dclet

CoCut is a plotter plug in.

Yes you can cut directly from corel, though a hassle sometimes.
Cocut is designed specifically for cutting vinyl and has all the bells and whistles of the Larger Full Scale apps (flexi, signlab etc.) and correct drivers.........

I use both Cocut and Signcut x2

Jackpine

So since I can't load Corel 9 on my new computer because the disk is in crumbles I will have to buy the full version of x3 to get it? That sucks, I have all the pieces of that shattered disk. Do you suppose if I sent it to Corel they would help? Ha. Early on I did not back up the disk because I thought it was illegal. When I finally figured out that it is OK to back up for your own safety it was too late; The disk was scratched and my backup was corrupted. At least I got the fonts off of it.
You could go to eBay and buy a OEM legal copy (disks only) of a lower version and then buy an upgrade version of X3. OEM's are really cheap for lower versions.

Jackpine

You do not need the earlier version on your computer to install X3. The upgrade installs exactly the same way as a full version would.
I was told by Corel the upgrade looks for an earlier version on the computer before it will load. I guess I can get rid of my versions 1, 3 and 7 disks.Good to know. Ignore the post I just made about OEM.

JoySigns

I have been studying CorelDraw on ebay and oddly enough complete versions of corel 9 seem to sell for higher than complete versions of Corel X3. I don't get that.

Columbia Signs

9 still was one of the all time best versions. 13 still has a few bugs, but the extra features in 13 makes it my new favorite.

I have been studying CorelDraw on ebay and oddly enough complete versions of corel 9 seem to sell for higher than complete versions of Corel X3. I don't get that.

wes70

I also have Corel 9 and plan on upgrading to x3. When I bought Corel 9 upgrade it came with a libraries catalogue. Will I get a catalogue with the x3 upgrade?