• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Clipart on Website

OneUpTenn

Okay this may be a stupid question but nonetheless I do not know the answer? Are you allowed to use Corel Clipart (what came with the program) on your website for customers to choose from to go on signs, t-shirts, etc.?

I have read the EULA and unfortunately I do not have a law degree so it is very difficult for me to interpret.

Is anyone currently using it on their website and if so, did you get a written agreement from them to do so?

Thanks

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Okay this may be a stupid question but nonetheless I do not know the answer? Are you allowed to use Corel Clipart (what came with the program) on your website for customers to choose from to go on signs, t-shirts, etc.?

I have read the EULA and unfortunately I do not have a law degree so it is very difficult for me to interpret.

Is anyone currently using it on their website and if so, did you get a written agreement from them to do so?

Thanks

The last time I read the Corel clip art EULA (X3), commercial use was prohibited. That is not to say that anyone does anything about it because the various collections included are used for commercial purposes 1,000s of times a day.

Corel isn't going to do anything about it because that would result in a lot less buyers of their application. The individual contributors are, however, damaged by the practice. Our Plotter Art™ Print-N-Cut Color Collection includes hundreds of images from Totem Graphics which he also licensed to Corel years ago. Ours are licensed for commercial use, Corel's are not.

OneUpTenn

2.1 YOU MAY, subject to any restrictions set out below:
(i) incorporate any Image(s) into your own original work and publish, display and distribute your work in any media, provided you include a copyright notice in your work reflecting on the copyright ownership of both you and Corel as follows:
"Copyright (c) 200__ [your name] and its licensors. All rights reserved."; and
(ii) make one (1) copy of the Image(s) for backup or archival purposes.
2.2 YOU MAY NOT:
(vi) use the Image(s) in electronic format, on-line or in multimedia applications unless the Image(s) are incorporated for viewing purposes only and no permission is given to download and/or save the Image(s) for any reason;

This was copied directly from their website, and the way I understand it is this: I can use it on my website but it has to be on a shirt, signs etc.?????? Anybody else????

But then, the next part (the YOU MAY NOT part) makes it sound like you can use it for viewing online you just cant sell the image or make it downloadable.

OldPaint

i cant tell you HOW MUCH CLIPART i have used from corel for COMMERCIAL SIGNS!!!!!!!!
same with a program i have called ARTS & LETTERS EXPRESS, PRINT ARTIST, OR ART EXPLOSION!!!!
most of these programs ARE SOLD touting their amount of USEABLE CLIPART.
you buy CLIPART from joh deaton............I USED IT FOR COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS....
NO......you cant use LOGOS........willie nilly........i do a lot of little league BASEBALL SIGNS....
ive don HARLEY, FORD, CHEVY, WENDYS, BURGER KING, ETC....FOR THOSE people....who sell that product.

SignManiac

I've read that if you use cheap clipart on any sign, that you may be persecuted by a jury of your peers and hung by the neck until you are pronounced dead. Same holds true for nephew art.

I can't tell you how much clipart I have bought over the years, but I find the only thing I use most is the circle, oval, square, rectangle clipart and occasionally the star.

OneUpTenn

Well FYI, I actually spoke to a Corel rep after holding for 20 mins (literally) and he said yes I can put them on my web site. I have emailed their permissions department 3 times with no response yet, but this was before I talked to the rep. So I am going ahead with it.

sgsellsit

Why would anyone use Corel stock clipart? I have never found their clipart very good or interesting. It still looks today like it did 15 years ago. CHEEZY. Ever tried color changing those fills. 500 circles of color and everything is outlines instead of true curve vector. Their program is great but their clipart foundries need work.