• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Corel Draw Question

Aunt LuLu

Aunt LuLu
Wondering about the benefits of Corel Draw 2020. I know that if you don’t have a subscription, you are cut off, but from what? More fonts? More textures & patterns for filling objects?

I am an apparel decorator using embroidery, vinyl, rhinestones & vinyl lettering (decals). My business is home-based (I have a separate area that is zoned commercial), I am a one person show. I began over 10 years ago with Corel Draw X3 and have upgraded many times to keep semi-current. What I noticed without being current, the “few” files that were sent to me to create a graphic for, did not open correctly. Well, this year, I have the current version of Corel Draw and received a file that did not open correctly. This caused major problems; I did come up with a work around.

I don’t use advanced features, and I can’t understand most of what Corel Draw has for tech help. I am seriously thinking canceling my subscription and using Corel Draw 2019 (or an earlier version, that I have) These earlier versions can’t be shut down by Corel Draw or am I wrong in that thinking?

Any information will be of help. Thank you

WildWestDesigns

Wondering about the benefits of Corel Draw 2020. I know that if you don’t have a subscription, you are cut off, but from what? More fonts? More textures & patterns for filling objects?

I am an apparel decorator using embroidery, vinyl, rhinestones & vinyl lettering (decals). My business is home-based (I have a separate area that is zoned commercial), I am a one person show. I began over 10 years ago with Corel Draw X3 and have upgraded many times to keep semi-current. What I noticed without being current, the “few” files that were sent to me to create a graphic for, did not open correctly. Well, this year, I have the current version of Corel Draw and received a file that did not open correctly. This caused major problems; I did come up with a work around.

I don’t use advanced features, and I can’t understand most of what Corel Draw has for tech help. I am seriously thinking canceling my subscription and using Corel Draw 2019 (or an earlier version, that I have) These earlier versions can’t be shut down by Corel Draw or am I wrong in that thinking?

Any information will be of help. Thank you

Another embroiderer here. I can only speak with what worked for me, it may not work in your situation, just something to keep in mind with.

I do sequin embroidery (Barudan has a sequin attachment), rhinestones and some vinyl, but that is on it's way out around here. I started with Ai back in the early '90s and swapped when they went subscription only, had a copy of DRAW due it coming with Wilcom, but never used it.

Keeping the older version is really not going to work in the long run depending on how you do it, if able to keep an older version of Windows offline and isolated sure might be able to keep that going. I would make sure that it's from X5 or earlier as anything past X5 is going to have to deal with an activation server. If you keep on installing it on newer computers, at some point an update is going to "kill" it. So keep that in mind. I'm a huge fan of Virtual Machines and I still have Win 98 running, but that method does require a beefier computer setup as well (essentially running 2 computers on the hardware of one computer)

I've actually gone with Inkscape and an embroidery extension (which it also does support sequin designs, but a little more round about way to get that working, but it does work, typically getting sequin embroidery module in software is going to take you at least $3k of a program). This combination does require more manual work (setting up everything manually, at least the first time, then can setup macros or scripts (something even Ai/DRAW users have to do from time to time), so one does lose automation if that's a big thing for you. The big thing with that extension is are you willing and able to manually/semi-manually digitize your designs or do you rely on more automation? I still do the old way, so that type of digitizing I actually still prefer (and it does lead to a better end product).

Which direction you are able to realistically go in is going to depend on what you are willing/able to do to use an alternative. Not for the faint of heart as it does have a learning curve to it.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I've been running X7 since it came out. Also still on WIN 7 pro. My system flies and very rarely locks up requiring a program restart. I use corel extensively from simple sign designs to very large complex customer supplied pdf's. Also use photopaint as opposed to photoshop. We have a subscription to AI and also a copy of Flexi. Some files supplied to us won't import to Corel and I have to use ai to convert them or worst case scenario just open with photoshop to flatten.
Our other designer has a bare bones system that was purchased approx 6 months ago running Win10 and a copy of X7. That system is plagued with problems.
I fear the day we have to go to the subscription based software. General consensus is that anything newer than X8 is a mess. Corel is improving with each version but still lagging and by the time they get a good version they'll likely do a major overhaul and go right back to square one again. Much like the automotive industry.

CanuckSigns

We are running Corel 2018 on all 4 of our PC's with very few issues. Oddly enough 1 of the computers that run our laser engraver has issues with importing .dwg and some .pdf files that the other computers have no issues with, all are running the same version of Corel 2018, still havn't figured that one out.

My opinion is that design software has reached a plateau in terms of new features that are actually needed, so the number of people willing to pay to upgrade software just to get some new useless feature is falling, so they switch to subscription where they get their $ if they make upgrades or not. then they have you hostage to keep paying or get locked out of the software you paid thousands of dollars to "rent"

WildWestDesigns

My opinion is that design software has reached a plateau in terms of new features that are actually needed, so the number of people willing to pay to upgrade software just to get some new useless feature is falling, so they switch to subscription where they get their $ if they make upgrades or not. then they have you hostage to keep paying or get locked out of the software you paid thousands of dollars to "rent"

Have to remember, we are talking about programs that have been around since the late '80s (Wilcom since the late '70s), they are long in the tooth and even having a code refactoring to speed things up alone would have probably gotten people to upgrade (although as complex as these programs are, probably not going to happen).

I could get on board with subscription if it was actually online or as a PWA. Then it wouldn't matter the platform that a user was on or how old it is. Might as well only be online since it's subscription as it is.

Now, I know some are saying browser experience would be slow. Not really so now with WASM can actually run native code through the browser, most any compiled code will compile to WASM as a target. I use C/C++ (which is what most of those programs are written in), but can use Rust, Java etc), plus there are ways of targeting hardware from the browser as well. Keep in mind, AutoCAD is available in the browser now. I'm not a fan of subscription at all, but "in for a penny, in for a pound" as far as I'm concerned with something like this.

Aunt LuLu

Aunt LuLu
I thank each and everyone who has answered. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place with this issue. I wouldn't if I could find training that taught what the new features are. I have watched many videos from many different teachers online to learn what I have learned. I have asked support a few things, but have felt that English is not their first language and being blunt (very blunt) at times gets the attention.

I will probably stay with the subscription and not use it.....I know being in business, the cost is to go to the customer. But customers have limits too..

unclebun

For me the new features that made me want to keep paying for it included the ones that allow straightening photos, and the updated capability of importing ai and pdf files, since the people who send me files use the subscription Adobe Illustrator that keeps changing the standards for their file types.

WildWestDesigns

I will probably stay with the subscription and not use it.....I know being in business, the cost is to go to the customer. But customers have limits too..

If you aren't going to use it, I wouldn't keep it. Last time I checked, the best rates were still yearly rates and don't go beyond that, so if you aren't using it, just use the old until there is a need. So I would stick with the old stuff. Can always go back if need to, but no need throwing that money out there if don't have it. Just my thoughts on it.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
My computer has 2020 with the two previous versions installed. It causes me no problems. Just remember that Corel is not forward compatible.

litewave

I use x3, x6 and 2019. All paid for upfront and no subscription. I only got 2019 as I found a sealed version at the right money. Using a no subscription model is another reason why I boycott Adobe products.

Unless your into "colour management" I see no real benefit to having the "latest". You may find some plugins of corel or some custom vba scripts might help your workflow more.

I can happily train people on the basics of corel if needed. PM if you like.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I use x3, x6 and 2019... You may find some plugins of corel or some custom vba scripts might help your workflow more.
There are a plethora of macros for use within corel. I have over a hundred. I didn't know how to code but learned by example and reading.
1 click dimensions
swap colors
custom spacing
crop marks
plotter registration marks
delete empty layers
label colors
replace shapes/replace with clones
line length
area of shape
find angle
remove overprint fill from all shapes
insert common characters (©, ™, °, ¢, ⬜, ●)
copy as plain text
insert common shapes (my triangle, my octagon, co. logo, arrow)

and many more