• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Draw Transparency

ams

I have Corel Draw 14. There is only two transparent things I can find.

#1. The tool where you drag an arrow on the part to make it transparent, I've tried Add, Subject, Multiply, etc. It doesn't get rid of the white background. The entire image fades or brightens.

#2. The Eraser, this makes the image very choppy.

There has to be a better way of making things transparent with solid backgrounds.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
1. Yup, that's what it does. The entire image. If you want to delete part of the image and leave it transparent, you need to do that either in PhotoShop or Corel PhotoPaint...

2. What do you mean, choppy? Please explain...

schmitty

I think you might be confusing vector transparency with a bitmap that has a background. If this is the case, draw your vector outline and create a mask.

The transparency tools would be for gradients or if you have two different vector objects overlaping creating a third color with the transparency.

Good Luck!

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Only way I have successfully created transparencies in corel draw that look decent has been a powerclipped bitmap that the transparency is controlled by the paint part of corel draw. i.e. double click on the bitmap to open the bitmap editor, change the transparency, save, close editor, corel will update with a corrected opacity. add a powerclip and you are a hot bowl of awesome sauce.

Edit: that isn't to say you can't use your transparency tool in the tool menu ... it does just as stated in no.1. Otherwise you need to use the described method above.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
OOHHH I think I have it figured out ... re-read the OP.

he's looking to cut out an image in corel draw.
not going to happen easily ... it's not a photo tool ... it's a vector tool.

learn to powerclip ... it's your best friend (taking a photo and throwing it into a vector outline so only the vector outline shows.)

ams

Yeah it's like a bitmap. I'd like to draw a outline and cut it out, but how do you use a mask? I only know about 10% of the program, enough to get by.

Also by choppy I mean if it's a circle, and you erase pixels, it's jagged edges.

signage

like this?

Attachments

• Graphic2.png
    Graphic2.png
    323.4 KB · Views: 162

schmitty

I think in Corel it's called Power clip. But you should be able to search in the help files for 'how to create mask'.

You are on the right track. Create your vector shape or mask, then select both the vector shape and the bitmap, and hit 'power clip' or 'create mask' - or something similar to that.

Good Luck!

signmeup

You can use "cutout lab" in Corel photo-paint. Select your bitmap... then click on "edit bitmap"under the "bitmap" tab and Photo-paint will open. Then click "cutout lab" under the "image" tab. Follow instructions on the side bar or click help.

CoCut USA

I have Corel Draw 14. There is only two transparent things I can find.

#1. The tool where you drag an arrow on the part to make it transparent, I've tried Add, Subject, Multiply, etc. It doesn't get rid of the white background. The entire image fades or brightens.

#2. The Eraser, this makes the image very choppy.

There has to be a better way of making things transparent with solid backgrounds.

Yes. Once transparency is applied, you can adjust type and percentage with the context-sensitive options that appear in the toolbar just above the design window.

Correction: Ahhh! I misunderstood. Clipped, not transparency. I'd suggest you not do it in Draw. Use PhotoPAINT or better, Photoshop to nicely feather (anti-alias) the unwanted portion. Then import into your CorelDRAW design. Photoshop is the bomb at doing this, and older versions are super cheap online.

Best,

Jim
CoCut USA

Last edited: