• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Draw X3

captainron19

Hard Drive crashed on my computer (Luckily all files were backed up) I just did a re-install of my Corel Drar Graphics Suite x3

Everything went fine with install and program opens fine until I went to open a previously saved file in Corel Draw. The file association is ok because when I double click on a file the Draw Program opens but it brings up a blank document. If I go into the program itself and choose "open" it tells me "the file is not importable using the selected filter or this format is not supported"

I tried some files that I worked on as little as 4 days ago.

It seems to only happen with Corel Draw. Files previously saved in Photo Paint are opening just fine.

Anyone have an idea?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Have you downloaded and installed all the patches and updates that were installed before the crash?

captainron19

No I have not done any of that but I remember doing a clean install once before and not having to do that. Is there a way of doing it via the program?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Corel only maintains the patches and downloads back to X4.

Try one of these:

METHOD 1
1.Hold down the F8 key on the keyboard.

2.With the F8 key depressed, launch either CorelDRAW or PHOTO-PAINT

3.The following message will appear:
Are you sure you want to overwrite the workspace with the factory defaults?

4.Click Yes and release the F8 key.

Note: Some newer keyboards have an "F Lock" key that must be pressed first to activate the Function keys on the keyboard.

METHOD 2
1.Go to Start
2.Click Run

Note: Windows Vista / 7 users can use the Start menu search box
1.Type %appdata% and press Enter
2.Open the Corel folder
3.Right-click the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X# and choose Rename
4.Change the name to CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X#.old

SignManiac

Another off the wall suggestion, try to import the file and see if that will open. If so then resave as a .cdr file. Also, to verify the files are good send one to another member here with Corel and see that they can open a file to make sure you aren't corrupted.

300mphGraphics

When Corel opens a blank document like that, it often sees the file as a newer version of the software. If I send an X6 file to my printer and he has only X5, it opens a blank page. Maybe the updates and patches that you had downloaded are creating a similar type of situation?

captainron19

Dont I feel like a complete MORON !!!

I forgot I had upgraded to Version X5 and that was the current version iw as using before the hard drive crashed and I mistakenly installed the X3 version today!

:banghead::banghead::banghead: