• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

corel import issues??

chopper

I am not a user of corel,
so I thought I would ask the corel guru's here a question, I have a customer that uses corel to drive a laser, He is not very adept in doing art work, he asked me to create some art for him, which I did in sign lab, saved it as an eps. he imported it just fine but when he created an out line to cut with it became segmented, so the laser would stop and start around the graphic and create problems with leaving stop and start points in the finished product, He has had others create art for Him in the past with the same issue, unless they use corel draw, so I was wondering what causes this? and how to correct it short of having to buy corel myself....do I need to export in a different format? oe is there something in corel that needs to be done to stop this?
thanks...
//chopper

signmeup

Sounds like your conversion is making the corel cut line into a poly line. Buy a used copy of Corel 12 off ebay. It is a very functional version. I bet you could pick up a copy for 10 or 15 bucks.

As a bonus... it comes with a crap-load of fonts.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I am not a user of corel,
so I thought I would ask the corel guru's here a question, I have a customer that uses corel to drive a laser, He is not very adept in doing art work, he asked me to create some art for him, which I did in sign lab, saved it as an eps. he imported it just fine but when he created an out line to cut with it became segmented, so the laser would stop and start around the graphic and create problems with leaving stop and start points in the finished product, He has had others create art for Him in the past with the same issue, unless they use corel draw, so I was wondering what causes this? and how to correct it short of having to buy corel myself....do I need to export in a different format? oe is there something in corel that needs to be done to stop this?
thanks...
//chopper

I've seen this before trying to import an eps file into Corel. Generally the problem is with the exporter not the importer.

The fundamental problem is you're using an Adobe proprietary file format being exporting from one non-Adobe application and importing into yer another non-Adobe application. Sometime the magic works and sometimes it doesn't.

eps isn't any sort of standard and it can be creatively interpreted by whatever package is writing it.

Try exporting as a pdf, that format has a bit more rigid a definition than an eps file and usually produces far more consistent results when exchanging data between unlike packages.

signmeup

I think Adobe purposely makes it hard to convert one of their files into someone elses.... but I'm paranoid......

Jim Hill

Best Advice

Buy a used copy of Corel 12 off ebay. It is a very functional version. I bet you could pick up a copy for 10 or 15 bucks.

Listen to this advice because he is RIGHT!!!!!!!

Corel 12 is very inexpensive and once you get used to it you will wonder how you ever lived before having it.

I just started using Corel x-5 after years of using Corel 12 and I like some the new features in X-5 I still find myself using version 12 for many the things I do.

Jim Hill

chopper

What format is the file in?

it is an eps

I've seen this before trying to import an eps file into Corel. Generally the problem is with the exporter not the importer.

The fundamental problem is you're using an Adobe proprietary file format being exporting from one non-Adobe application and importing into yer another non-Adobe application. Sometime the magic works and sometimes it doesn't.

eps isn't any sort of standard and it can be creatively interpreted by whatever package is writing it.

Try exporting as a pdf, that format has a bit more rigid a definition than an eps file and usually produces far more consistent results when exchanging data between unlike packages
thanks Bob I will try that,
Buy a used copy of Corel 12 off ebay. It is a very functional version. I bet you could pick up a copy for 10 or 15 bucks.

Listen to this advice because he is RIGHT!!!!!!!

Corel 12 is very inexpensive and once you get used to it you will wonder how you ever lived before having it.
Jim< the only reason I would need corel is for this one customer, I use signlab for everything else from my cnc to digital printing, and I really don't want to get into having to use corel for anything, but I may not have a choice....

Did he create the outline to be cut or did you?

If he did what or how did he do it?
He created the cut lines, how he did it I do not know I was not there watching him, so maybe he could create them in a different way and it would work I dont know, he uses them to get a cut path and create lead ins for the laser

thanks for the reply's everyone, I will keep working on this, if anyone thinks of anything let me know..
//chopper

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
A couple of suggestions:

1. Save your EPS file all the way back to a legacy version of 3.0.
  2. Tell your client that there is more than one EPS import filter in Corel and that one may work better than the other. There is one for Illustrator and there is another that is generic. Either must be selected manually when importing into Corel instead of allowing Corel to do it for you automatically.

artbot

... why doesn't he request the export to be .dxf? the dxf, when importing will show exactly what his laser is seeing to convert, rather than a format twice removed.

when i'm having trouble with a cnc file, i re-import the dxf back into corel, and sure enough what the cnc software is being blamed for is instead an export anomaly.

chopper

Fred thanks I will try that also...
artbot, Perks,I haven't tried using a dxf. or svg file yet..DXF is what I use when I am using my cnc machine, but I do not know what corel will except...and what type of file is best for what is being done, I have converted to those types of files and will try it tomorrow to see what will work if any..
//chopper

artbot

when i drop off a file at a printer in my area (to do the occasional plotter job. i don't do that), i give him a cd with ai. dxf. and plt. (aka hpgl). so no matter what the issue, there's the basic formats that will work with most cnc based equipment.

in fact i had one nasty file i tried to convert over and over again last night (until 7am) and for some reason my cnc software would drop the last four inches that closed the path. turns out, after 15 years of cnc, i don't know everything (???) i used a .plt in the end and it liked that one. i don't plan on exporting to .plt ever again. but who knows? i'm finally about to cut the stupid piece right now.

chopper

well, we tried a few files today and found that Fred was right that using a level 3 eps file worked with out issue, the dxf created more segmentation, svg created incorrect size importation problems,
thanks for all your input..
//chopper