• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel plotting signs short?

Commando

I use Corel X4 for sign design and plotting(Finecut 8) and I have the Mimaki CG-130 FXII. For some reason, SOMETIMES, my signs cut short. Usually around 1/4inch off.. My sheeting roll(media roll) stays on track and my measurements in the program itself are right on. The Plotter is only about 2 months old. I have to guess it is Corel or some kind of setting in the plotter itself? Like I said, it is only sometimes. I do not have a problem with my Graphtec or my Mimaki printer.. Which, my Graphtec is hooked up to another computer. Both Mimakis run off the same one. Any ideas?

letterman7

Yep, make sure your bridge program (Finecut) is calibrated correctly. Been plotting from CoCut for years and never had an issue with a dimension.

Commando

Have not tried cutting directly from Corel with this plotter. The tech that came and hooked it up and did a couple days training on the equip said not to. I will try, though. I have to use the finecut when I plot out decals and what-not from the mimaki printer. Never had a problem with it on those, though..

Joe Diaz

We also cut directly from DRAW, however we have had good luck with cocut in the past. That being said I'm not sure you can cut directly from DRAW to all plotters. I do know it's important to have the right drivers. You essentially treat the the art like you would if you were printing it, except your artwork should have no fill and a hairline outline.

Commando

OK, so I just tried plotting from Corel, and the plotter will not even show up on available printers from the CoCut screen. I went into device and printers but it was still a no go. Maybe that is why he told me it wouldn't work? I do remember the guy that sold us the equipment said we would HAVE to use the FC program..Is there a way to calibrate the Finecut system?

Commando

We also cut directly from DRAW, however we have had good luck with cocut in the past. That being said I'm not sure you can cut directly from DRAW to all plotters. I do know it's important to have the right drivers. You essentially treat the the art like you would if you were printing it, except your artwork should have no fill and a hairline outline.

That is what I am getting at. The Mimaki might be one of those.. What do you mean by "right drivers"?

Joe Diaz

That is what I am getting at. The Mimaki might be one of those.. What do you mean by "right drivers"?

A few years back when we updated to Windows Vista from XP, Graphtec hadn't yet released a Vista friendly driver for the plotter we had. So we could no longer plot directly from DRAW. However for some reason it would recognize that particular plotter from CoCut, so we used that for a while. Now we do have the more up to date driver in windows 7 and can plot directly out of DRAW again.

Joe Diaz

OK, so I just tried plotting from Corel, and the plotter will not even show up on available printers from the CoCut screen.

Just saw this. Have you tried sending the file to your plotter from DRAW without using CoCut? That's what we mean by plotting directly from DRAW.

Also if you seek out support, you may have better luck with your plotter manufacture rather than Corel. Not that Corel support is bad, but the chances of the plotter manufacturer understanding how their product works with Corel, is better than Corel knowing how to get the thousands of different models of plotters out there to work properly. When we had issues getting our Graphtec to work when we updated our OS, graphtec knew exactly what to do and we were running in no time.

OldPaint

MIMAKI PLOTTERS.....have a driver for cutting from corel on their web site........d/l it install it. treat the plotter as a printer in corel..set it up the same page size as the plotter driver....and you will cut DIRECT FROM COREL))))))))))