• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

corel shuts down when i open file

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
Hello ALL,
i am running Corel Draw 24 and I am trying to open a specific file I designed last week.
Everytime I say open file, when it finally opens it takes approx. 5 seconds and then all of corel draw shuts down.

I opened another corel file I designed last week and it seems to be ok and corel stays open.

What would be causing this?

need help asap as this specific file is approved by customer and I need to send it to print.

scrip

maybe the hotfix from corel will be helpful ?

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
I run this Hot Fix and then I get...

1702318822343.png

weyandsign

Try to import the file instead of opening it. If that doesn't work, try opening the file in a different program. Inkscape is free and can open some corel and ai files. If it opens in Inkscape, try saving it as an EPS or some other type of vector, then opening in Corel.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
Try to import the file instead of opening it. If that doesn't work, try opening the file in a different program. Inkscape is free and can open some corel and ai files. If it opens in Inkscape, try saving it as an EPS or some other type of vector, then opening in Corel.
I did just that!

I opened another Corel file then I imported the trouble file and then I saved it as another name QUICKLY. lol

This, however does not rectify or solve why the file does this.

waiting on more input and direction from everyone!

mfatty500

Try re-naming the file, that sometimes works for me. Luckily it doesn't happen to much for me, I still use x7.

JBurton

Signtologist
Can you send the file to someone to see if another pc might open it?
Good thinking.
That one of the reasons i call it corhelldraw
Now, I'll hate on corel all day for their current dip into the bs that is yearly releases, no ownership, but if you can find anything from x8 backwards, it's bullet proof. Now they just beta test all year to announce version 24 won't have this one bug... it'll have 4 worse ones that you'll get to find on your own!

MrDav3C

We had a similar issue before & I can't remember the exact process but I think it may possibly be an issue with a corrupt font embedded in the .cdr

The way we fixed it was by making a copy of the file (so you can't ruin the file) in windows, renaming the new .cdr as a .txt file, open it in notepad and deleting the font information from the file then renaming again as a .cdr again.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
We had a similar issue before & I can't remember the exact process but I think it may possibly be an issue with a corrupt font embedded in the .cdr

The way we fixed it was by making a copy of the file (so you can't ruin the file) in windows, renaming the new .cdr as a .txt file, open it in notepad and deleting the font information from the file then renaming again as a .cdr again.

Hope this helps!
I was thinking a corrupt file as well!

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
how do i attach the file? it won't let me attach a .cdr file.
Tried renaming extension to .pdf and that don't work either.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Looks like maybe you have a Windows registry conflict as Windows doesn't seem to think Corel is installed on your computer. That could be the case if the software is pirated or if some of the files are corrupt. Might need to do a reinstall.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
Looks like maybe you have a Windows registry conflict as Windows doesn't seem to think Corel is installed on your computer. That could be the case if the software is pirated or if some of the files are corrupt. Might need to do a reinstall.
all programs are legit. It only affects that one file (that I can notice so far) so a complete re-install would not be necessary, IMO.