• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

corel users - importing pdf's

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I have a customer with a pdf that is full of vectors. I told them to import into Corel. They have version 13.

I often have Corel customers tell me they cannot import PDF's into Corel and retrieve the vectors. Are they wrong? I assumed Corel had this ability. If not, it is certainly a serious shortcoming

Any tips to recommend?

Custom_Grafx

I use both programs, and I have also experienced difficulty as you mention. The error I receive is "File is corrupt" using X3.

Corel doesn't like some PDF's. I haven't been able to isolate the cause as yet, but it does happen.

Custom_Grafx

Ok... you got me curious (I have never bothered to look into it further... till now).

This works for me...

When you save to PDF from Illy, uncheck the "Create Acrobat Layers from Top-Level Layers".

I individually checked these back, and when I checked that box, it gave me the error in Corel.

Please let me know if this works for you also.

signage

Eric I have used PDF's with vectors in X3. I have had some PDF's that wouldn't import into Corel, don't really know why, but I have imported them into Composer and copied to Corel without any issues.

Custom_Grafx

issue #2 identified.

If I have text in my illy doc - area type or normal text, it gives me an error in X3 again. Converting to outlines fixed it.

Summary so far.

1) uncheck the box I mentioned in post#5
2) convert all text to outlines

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I did not create the PDF. If a customer sends me a pdf with vectors I tell them what they already have to save them from having to pay for a conversion. Many times people don't realize that some pdf's contain vectors

I do not cheat people. It would be easy to pretend I did all the work and charge out the nose for some job but that is not my style

omgsideburns

I have an older version here, x3 i think. We don't even use it. It's so crippled to modern vectors that it just opens a blank canvas when you try and import anything, even newer corel files.

Posterboy

I agree with the above. Sometimes I can import, sometimes I can't, I usually blame the designers. The way I have gotten around it when I really need to edit a file is to use adobe professional to save the file as a jpg as high a resolution as I can, and then import the jpg. Not pretty but it works so long as the changes aren't to ambitious.
A lot of the time even when X3 can import the pdf, the formatting is completely lost.

Mark S. Adams

I have Corel ver 12. There are often times that a PDF will not import. I also have AI CS2, so I get around it. I have found that there are a number of different things that can cause Corel to see the PDF file as "corrupt". The two most common are if the PDF file was created with "layers", and if there are raster based images within the file. When Corel has a problem, I use Illy to strip the file down to just what I need, and re-save. Works for me.

:smile:

basicmetal

Another trick that sometimes works for me is when opening a PDF file, rather than viewing "All File Formats", try viewing/opening only .PDF files. For some reason, in Corel's world it seems to make a difference.

J Hill Designs

same as all above - some import into corel well, some come in corrupt, or as a 72dpi raster...when that is the case I open in illy and resave what is needed as eps

Colin

VectorDoctor: Here's what I do:

1) Open the PDF file in Acrobat Reader.

2) Do a "Save As" and save it as an eps to your desktop (or wherever).

3) Open that eps in Illy.

4) Do a "Save As" and save it as an eps again, but in the pop-up window, choose an older "Legacy" version, like 8. (try a few different legacy versions).

5) Import that eps into CorelDraw.

BLB

Vector Dr. I open the file in Illy and then Save As an eps for Corel, because of the same problems already discribed.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Colin and BLB. The problem is not on my end, it is the customer. They are the ones with the issue. Most likely they don't have Illustrator. The original post stated that the customer is unable to import into Corel. I have no problem doing this myself, it is the Corel users with the problem

Just trying to let the customers able to help themselves but will do so if they cannot