• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X-4 or X-5 question

Jim Hill

I have been using Corel version 12 for years now and love it.

If I was going to update to a newer version would you recoment X-4 or X-5 and why.

Do I purchase a complete new version or just upgrade to either X-4 or X-5

Thanks Jim

signage

Either one, I do not have X4 or X5 but what I have heard is X5 has better color management now! Weather to buy new or upgrade is up to you! If you would buy new make sure you get the boxed version so you get the clip art and books (X4)!

SignManiac

I just upgraded from X3 to X5. They have made major improvements to color management well worth the upgrade price of $200. Included is Corel Connect, a nice tool for locating all of the images on you computer. Simple drag and drop into your designs.

CES020

Just know that the graphics book does not come with any version of X5. They have stopped publishing it, so if you want it, you'll have to print it out yourself.

CES020

Yup, I got that, but I thought someone that it was subtle and might be missed. There are a number of people that are not happy with X5 not having the book. They bought the full boxed version for that reason alone and didn't get it when they opened the box. Apparently there is a training book in there, but no graphics book of all the fonts and vector art.

Their response has been that they have a great search feature in there and you should be using that. Other's responses back have been "My customers are looking through those books, now I have to have to let them browse on my computer instead of at a table, quietly".

Jillbeans

This is how I'm gonna spend my afternoon.
I have been using Corel 12 for about 4 years now, and I found a pristine X4 on Amazon.com.
I'm on XP (by choice) I figured I better "upgrade" a bit hahaha.
I'm sure lots of panicked questions will follow.
Love....Jill

Jillbeans

...first question...
Do I need to reinstall cutting master?
Can't seem to output to Graphtec, something about those frigging macros.

signage

Jill are you sure the version you bought is not educational?

Do you see macros in the tools drop down?

binki

the only difference in the upgrade or the complete new version is the price. if you are eligable for an upgrade then do it. why waste $400?

CES020

Jill are you sure the version you bought is not educational?

Do you see macros in the tools drop down?

I just went through an issue where I installed CorelDraw on a different computer. We have multiple corel discs and all are legal copies. I couldn't get cutting master to work at all. It's the full version. I tried and tried. I finally noticed something on the disc, it said "OEM" on the disc of Corel. I went and got another disc that didn't have that, installed that and it worked first time.

Cutting master doesn't like some versions of corel. I had no idea there was any difference in the OEM version and the normal version, so be aware of that.

Last edited:

Techman

Plug ins need the visual basic module to run the macro's.
Student versions and reduced versions do not have the visual basic module.

Jillbeans

Oops no wonder it was only $51.
I think I f'd up guys.
:doh:
Think its a demo or beta version.

Attachments

• oops!.jpg
    oops!.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 107