• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X3 and Windows 10 - why the incompatibility?

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Quick question please: I read recently that X3 will NOT work under win 10. I'm wondeirng why?

Before I sound cheap, old habits die hard and I'm happy using X3 on a few legacy XP or Win 7 machines that drive the plotter, router and lasers. I also have x5 and 2019, and in order prefer the two earlier ones over the newest- for assorted reasons and odd quirks. None of the machnesa is on the interent- they have ne job to do and they do it fine.

But I'm getting a win10 PC, and was just curious about what exactly the incompatiblity was with Corel X3?
It's not an issue for me- just curious.
Thanks!

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
It's not an issue yet, but I bet it will be... I have 4x and it works just fine, now that I have fiddled around and found ways around some of the quirks that come with Win10.
The fonts in the menu bar don't show now... still trying to figure that one out. They are there if I scroll over them, and they work, just can't see them.
Go to YouTube for many answers on Corel, or just Google your questions as to what is wrong.
There is a whole world of Corel out there.

unclebun

It's because between Windows 8 and Windows 10 they actually changed the underlying architecture of Windows, so things that Corel X3 was using to work just aren't there any more.

WildWestDesigns

I remember when I was playing around with Corel with X5 and X6 (do have a copy of X8, but never installed it). When I did a fresh install of X5 on Win 8.1, it as a booger to get it loaded. Had to do somethings manually. Now, if I had say Win 7 on the computer and then did an upgrade path, it may have worked, I don't know. I know when my mom did that, Ps CS6 had some quirks with it, especially with regard to permissions.

APIs, DLLs (not quick enough though when it comes to Windows) change or you may need a specific VS runtime that isn't available for later versions etc (why I love portable programs, have one that was made in 1997 and still runs on Win10 and not in compatibility mode).

Now, you did mention that your other computers don't have internet and that helps with those computers. But if you get a new computer with Win 10, you are going to have whatever the latest version is at the time and that version (each major update (of which there are typically 2 a year) is only supported for 18 months after released, so we are talking "bleeding edge") may be the one that makes it even harder or impossible to run X3.

Normally one would have 2 options, but I know you aren't a fan of 1, so that really leaves you with only 1 option if wanting to keep X3 alive and going and without worrying about if the next computer/update (if the new computer is online) doesn't kill program functionality. Keep in mind, the workaround that was mentioned towards the end of the thread is 2 yrs old. That's quite a few updates since then that may have made it harder or not as fool proof. It may still work, my starting with DRAW was with X5, so I can't test it, but it may or may not work like it did from 2 yrs ago. If this was Win 7 or 8.1 where they still used the old update schema, I would be more confident, but not with their new bleeding edge schema.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Thanks for all those replies- i appreciate it.
I can just use a newer version x5 in preference - on W10, and keep the others on the other machines. I was just interested in why the issues might have occurred.
Thanks.

WildWestDesigns

Are you looking for a good home for your copy of X8? Plenty of copies floating around out there, just none I'd trust enough to give bet on.

My copy is a bit different. Mine is actually integrated with my embroidery software installer. One starts up the embroidery software install and has the option to install Corel or not (serial number is pushed through via a script while Draw installs, it's not on a separate piece of paper (well at least not with the version that I have of the embroidery software, that may have changed with future versions)).

So, it's not going to be quite as easy to separate my version as it's not like the standard DRAW version. It can run independently, but getting it on there and activated is something else.

WildWestDesigns

It al basically comes down to the fact that Win 10 is the worst thing they have ever made! I want my 7 back!

There are some things that I actually like about Win 10, hell even my KDE Neon (main office computer) I have setup to look like Win 10. I don't mind the UI at all. It's the other stuff that gets to you.

I actually saw an article, I think it was from TechRader that said that Win 10 lost market share, while Linux and Mac both saw a boost. While MS has changed on some things (while I wouldn't get them, you have Edge and Office (not just the web versions) both coming to Linux, so that says something right there) and I think in some ways (especially for the majority of end users (not use niche users)) Windows is loosing importance within MS (just me speculating), I unfortunately think this is just a short term blip, mainly due to various "stay at home" orders for most people. Most people that would normally use Windows for work, are now doing more things at home and they tend to run whatever they want to at home.

I do think that some things are on their way out, but they are just being desperately held on to, but just me speculating again (but then again, I would be biased to this change, so I'm hoping that it's true).