• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X3 Shadowing Questions

BrianKE

After many years of using strictly Flexi I am diving into Corel, actually just testing it to see if I need it for what I do.

In a simple test I tried to recreate my logo and used the Extrude function to create the 3D effect of the plus symbol. However I am getting a strange effect on the rounded corners (see attached). Can someone explain tell me how to get a more natural looking image where the rounded corner doesn't appear seperated from the flat surfaces?

Secondly, can someone explain how to create the actual shadow in my logo (not the drop shadow portion of the logo but the shadow that appears to be cast on a surface below the logo)?

Also, any suggestions on good tutorials for Corel X3, etiher on the web or in print?

TIA

Image1.jpg

Kottwitz-Graphics

Also, any suggestions on good tutorials for Corel X3, etiher on the web or in print?

TIA

http://www.unleash.com/coreldrawx3unleashed/index.asp is a full learning book for X3. I have been looking at it, but just haven't shelled out for it. I did get a tutorial on making letters look like chrome, and while it was complete, it was confusing in the way it was written. I read thought it, and tried it, and ended up puttig it away for a while. I think it took 15 times of just reading it out loud to comprehend.

jiarby

drop shadow tool on left manu bar. fiddle with settings x, y, z coords...

Attachments

• extrude.jpg
    extrude.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 122

ChiknNutz

While Corel will do what you want natively, I've found the AlienSkin plug-ins along with CorelDraw and/or PhotoPaint to be superior in their effect.

flyinhawaiian968

While Corel will do what you want natively, I've found the AlienSkin plug-ins along with CorelDraw and/or PhotoPaint to be superior in their effect.

I'll second this one, although I usually just export what I want an effect on as a PSD and let Photoshop handle the plugins, then import it back to Corel for finalization of the artwork. It works very well and IMHO looks cleaner and sharper when coming from photoshop (albeit, usually at 600 - 1200 dpi, then reduced to 300dpi in corel when finished editing).

As for Corel's drop shadow tool, its decent, but nothing beats Photoshop's drop shadow effects in the reality department!

Chris

BrianKE

Thanks everyone for the drop shadow answers and the tutorial recommendations.

However, i am still having trouble with the rounded corners when extruded. The gradient fill looks much different than the straight sections (see original post). Any ideas on how to fix this?

TIA

jiarby

break the extrusion apart, select just the rd corner piece and give it whatever fill you want. Maybe welding it to the other side pieces

BrianKE

Thanks jiarby, breaking the extrusion about and then combining the mating sections did the trick.