• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X6

JohnBFryJr

Been vectorizing logos and cutting vinyl for 10 years. I'm going to buy a printer in a few months and my current printed vinyl supplier has mentioned that I might want to learn Illustrator. Is there a reason to ditch Corel for Illustrator? If so is it because it is easier or more powerful? I'm really trying to do my homework before I make the plunge.

jtiii

I paid good money for you to read this!
I've got a Roland printer and we use CorelDraw also. We've been using Corel since 1995. I've had a few artists that had learned on Illustrator and said that Corel can do virtually everything Illy can. I can't imagine why your supplier would casually suggest you need to learn a new graphics program!

Also, this -
Corel draw X8 vs Adobe Cloud Since New Software Updates

JohnBFryJr

I ask my supplier dumb questions all the time and she is god about getting me squared away. That link pretty much answered my questions. Thanks

Jackpine

I've used Corel since version 1. Does everything I need. If you want something else look at Vinyl Master.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Been vectorizing logos and cutting vinyl for 10 years. I'm going to buy a printer in a few months and my current printed vinyl supplier has mentioned that I might want to learn Illustrator. Is there a reason to ditch Corel for Illustrator? If so is it because it is easier or more powerful? I'm really trying to do my homework before I make the plunge.

Ford vs Chevy. Corel and Illustrator are functionally identical. Which one you like depends on your prejudices.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
No need to ditch Corel but if you are going to print other peoples files and do it right Illustrator is a good thing to have.
Nothing opens Illustrator's EPS PDF & Ai files better than Illustrator.People send me "print ready" EPS files that are anything but every day.

wayne k
guam usa

WrapYourCar

Illustrator is newer and part of the Adobe family of programs... Corel will probably die off soon. And yeah what Wayne said is true.. much easier to open other people's files.

JohnBFryJr

Perfect example. Last week an "artist" sent me 12 72meg files with transparent clip art hanging off the page everywhere to be mocked up on a single page. After several hours of jacking with it i found that I had to take it into photoshop and flatten it. Learned something new from my prints hop friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

WrapYourCar

No need to ditch Corel but if you are going to print other peoples files and do it right Illustrator is a good thing to have.
Nothing opens Illustrator's EPS PDF & Ai files better than Illustrator.People send me "print ready" EPS files that are anything but every day.

wayne k
guam usa
Just specify that you want a pdf then? I like illustrator as I run a Mac.. and have used the adobe products for a long time now.. I think it's good to know your way around a few apps it's pretty easy to learn especially if you know corel already.

JohnBFryJr

Haha. Half the time I tell them to send pdf's all they do is send me a jpg in pdf form.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk