• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDRAW 2018 - Thoughts?

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
A single page demonstration on how Corel Draw 2018's Pointillizer Tool can quickly simulate Electronic Message Center Displays from both bitmap and vector graphics.

Attachments

• Corel Draw 2018 Pointillizer Tool.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 438

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The Pointillizer tool is probably my favorite feature of CorelDRAW 2018. Electronic message center display simulation is one handy trick. You don't have to go with the default circles either. I like to create custom rounded square shapes to represent the pixels. The simulated display prints brighter yet the viewer still sees the accurate pixel for pixel accurate "texture" of the EMC display. The pointillizer tool is also great for creating really cool looking vector-based halftone effects. The only other option for this kind of effect is the Phantasm plug-in from Astute Graphics for Adobe Illustrator.

Big Rice Field

The Pointillizer tool is probably my favorite feature of CorelDRAW 2018. Electronic message center display simulation is one handy trick. You don't have to go with the default circles either. I like to create custom rounded square shapes to represent the pixels. The simulated display prints brighter yet the viewer still sees the accurate pixel for pixel accurate "texture" of the EMC display. The pointillizer tool is also great for creating really cool looking vector-based halftone effects. The only other option for this kind of effect is the Phantasm plug-in from Astute Graphics for Adobe Illustrator.
I like that tool too. I can take it further by using Windows 10 Picture editor to make EMC movies that can play inside drawing PDF files that are sent to the client.

Andy D

Align & Distribute nodes feature
I'm on X16 & this has always been one of my biggest aggravations with Corel....
I never have understood why they don't have it where you can Align & Distribute nodes via the object Align & Distribute.

54warrior

I upgraded from X6. The gradient tools are much different and I am struggling with that a little bit. Will have to play around and learn with it.

54warrior

Also, are there preset fills somewhere? (silver, gold, rainbow, etc.) like what were on the X6 version? I can't find that anywhere

unclebun

Also, are there preset fills somewhere? (silver, gold, rainbow, etc.) like what were on the X6 version? I can't find that anywhere
Pretty sure all the fills are there, under the fill tool. You may have to do some searching for specific fills, or even copy them from your X6 disk to a folder in the computer to use them.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
54warrior said:
I upgraded from X6. The gradient tools are much different and I am struggling with that a little bit. Will have to play around and learn with it.

The gradient tool went through a serious update with version X8. It does more to match features of the gradient tool in Adobe Illustrator (which have been there for many years). The fills are more interactive and are not restricted to the boundaries of the object being filled. Gradients support levels of transparency on each color stop/position along the gradient. The gradients can be warped; for instance a spherical gradient can be warped into an oval shaped gradient.

I think one reason why Corel updated the gradient tool was so it would more accurately import vector artwork generated in Adobe Illustrator. Back and forth import/export between the two programs works a bit better now. It's not plain wacky like it was in the past (especially in the AI to CDR route). But it's not perfect yet either. The size, position and angle of gradients can still shift to some degree.

letterman7

I'm constantly surprised that since Corel is used primarily by the graphics industry that they haven't developed a RIP that integrates into the program. That alone would save thousands from having to purchase a stand-alone RIP program.

WildWestDesigns

I'm constantly surprised that since Corel is used primarily by the graphics industry that they haven't developed a RIP that integrates into the program. That alone would save thousands from having to purchase a stand-alone RIP program.

I don't know how much that would actually save. The R&D on getting everything to work for all the printers, all the drivers etc to be production worthy. It's still going to cost.

Corel is integrated in quite a few software in my trade (sometimes it's very basic to full blown), but don't really seem them going into that arena directly. Far more feasible for a developer to develop an extension/add-on that would incorporate some of that functionality (probably not all as it would be limited to what the base program is able to do as well).

That's probably would I would hold out for if wanting that functionality directly in that software.

In my trade to get Corel integrated with a full blown digitizing suite your looking at anywhere from $1500 to $15k MSRP depending on how much functionality you want beyond DRAW (base price for me would be $3k on up). And that's with plain jane DRAW, it's just integrated with the full blown digitizing suite with a toggle button to switch from one program to the next (although you can run DRAW by itself as well).

I don't really see the savings happening, especially in a niche industry to recover the programming R&D for it.

letterman7

I don't know how much that would actually save. The R&D on getting everything to work for all the printers, all the drivers etc to be production worthy. It's still going to cost.

Corel is integrated in quite a few software in my trade (sometimes it's very basic to full blown), but don't really seem them going into that arena directly. Far more feasible for a developer to develop an extension/add-on that would incorporate some of that functionality (probably not all as it would be limited to what the base program is able to do as well).

That's probably would I would hold out for if wanting that functionality directly in that software.

In my trade to get Corel integrated with a full blown digitizing suite your looking at anywhere from $1500 to $15k MSRP depending on how much functionality you want beyond DRAW (base price for me would be $3k on up). And that's with plain jane DRAW, it's just integrated with the full blown digitizing suite with a toggle button to switch from one program to the next (although you can run DRAW by itself as well).

I don't really see the savings happening, especially in a niche industry to recover the programming R&D for it.

Perhaps. I use Flexi as my RIP - and that's all I use it for. I've been using Corel since v3.. I don't recall Flexi ever starting out as a RIP program, but a basic design and cut. My cutting is done through CoCut as a plug-in..

WildWestDesigns

I don't recall Flexi ever starting out as a RIP program, but a basic design and cut.

I believe that you are right. I think it started off as basic design for cut applications. However, it was always a package for the sign industry and therefore evolved accordingly with that in mind.

Vector packages not so much. Through extensions/add-ons (like you mentioned CoCut), it can be used in more specialized CAM applications, but those are still developed by 3rd parties and not Corel. Even the software that I was talking about, the "heavy lifting" of getting that integration is done by the other vendor more then it is by Corel.

I don't see Corel doing the lifting to support a niche industry and having to learn that niche industry.

May actually have a better chance of getting more savings by having a 3rd party that understand that industry and what is needed, then have Corel learn on the fly. I think that's where the savings is going to be. I think with Corel and CoCut Pro (I don't know your level of CoCut, just using Pro for the example as it is the most expensive) saves you about what $600 or so versus plain Jane FlexiSign?

Now, that's just a price comparison, not a point by point features comparison which is where the real meat and potatoes of it one is worth it or not is determined. It still may win hands down, not saying that, just saying that I didn't go through each feature and see what each had or not etc.

zstekovic

CorelDraw 2018 is solid and fast - I like it.
Working really well on MacBook Pro 2017 + Parallels 14 & Windows 10.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Regarding large format RIP software, I think if someone is going to be doing commercial large format printing they need a proper RIP application, not a freebie add-on for a $400 vector drawing program. Some printers are sold with the RIP included. Our old Roland VersaCAMM came with VersaWorks bundled. We got Onyx Thrive with our first HP Latex printer and added another license when we acquired our second latex printer. The RIP software really needs to understand all the latest bells and whistles of Postscript and PDF. Corel still isn't 100% good in that department (see my earlier gripes about file transfers between CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator).

Flexi does have RIP capability, but that is an add-on that costs extra. There are various levels of Flexi software available, all at different price points.

WildWestDesigns

not a freebie add-on for a $400 vector drawing program.

I don't recall letterman asking for a freebie add-on, he just speculated that it may be more cost effective then a full fledge RIP program. It may or may not be worth it, depending on feature for feature comparison relative to the price points for what the user needs.

Now, of course, this whole "get what you pay for" is true up to a point. I've worked on free add-ons that feature for feature are equivalent to the $3k commercial versions and the quality is on parity with the commercial version. And I have used the versions that MSRP for $15k, so don't think this is coming from a cheapskate. That doesn't necessarily mean that it would translate into this situation (but it is also a niche industry), just mentioning it as not all situations are the same. Different workflow, which to some may translate into less user friendly (may or may not be a valid point, depends on the situation) compared to a dedicated program. But doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

I have seen add ons for Draw and Ai that go for $3k for my trade, so they can go for quite a bit more then the host program.

Edit to add: Looks like they go for more then $3k now. See attached.

Like I said, I don't know how much of savings that you are actually going to get for the plugins to be of any good (and this is done by Pulse, which is a very well respected digitizing software brand in my world (although I'm more of a Wilcom fan myself)).

There is something to be said for using a program that is already (hopefully) well known to the user and just extending that functionality. It may be worth it in that way alone.

Attachments

• Plugin.png
    Plugin.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
WildWestDesigns said:
I don't recall letterman asking for a freebie add-on, he just speculated that it may be more cost effective then a full fledge RIP program.

CorelDRAW has a standard price for mainstream graphics software. Every add-on application, utility, etc in the box is included for no extra charge, "freebie add-on" software. Obviously the motivation behind the original question is cutting costs. Why pay for expensive RIP software like Onyx if the same thing can be included in a $400 box of mainstream graphics software for no extra charge?

WildWestDesigns said:
There is something to be said for using a program that is already (hopefully) well known to the user and just extending that functionality. It may be worth it in that way alone.

Far more than just sign people use CorelDRAW. So there really is no good reason for Corel to include a RIP application in the retail box. Large format RIP software is a specialty niche product. Just like digitizing software for embroidery. You have to buy the add-ons separately and they're often not cheap, due largely to development costs being spread out among a limited customer base.

Even if Corel could include RIP software in the CorelDRAW package they would open a big can of worms in the process. There's lots of different printers out there. Corel would have to devote resources to fixing bugs and doing other software maintenance work. Plus, they would have to make sure the software was fully Postscript and PDF compliant. Right now they can barely keep up with maintaining CorelDRAW itself. The 2018 version of CorelDRAW has had only one update so far; there are bugs they haven't addressed for months.

Big Rice Field

You are correct. Corel is what is known as "horizontal" sofware that is inexpensive as it is sold in a wider market. FlexiSign, SignLab, and Neon Wizard sell in a narrower market and is known as "vertical" software. Not as many units sold so the price is higher.

WildWestDesigns

CorelDRAW has a standard price for mainstream graphics software. Every add-on application, utility, etc in the box is included for no extra charge, "freebie add-on" software. Obviously the motivation behind the original question is cutting costs. Why pay for expensive RIP software like Onyx if the same thing can be included in a $400 box of mainstream graphics software for no extra charge?

You can still cut costs without having to get a free be add on. This is assuming that it is very close to feature parity or at least feature parity for what the individual needs it to do. FlexiSign (which if I'm not mistaken is the basic design/cut level) versus Draw and CoCut Pro is/was a savings of about $600. As long as feature for feature for what the user needs is on parity.

Large format printing is a different animal, that's for sure, but depending on what you are talking about, it may be able to be done.

For instance, in that embroidery plugin versus the free add on that I've contributed to, if you were to pay for Adobe CS4 - CS6 full license (no trade-in, trade up), your looking at ~$4100 for everything. You can get more feature rich stand alone programs and still purchase Ai (perpetual license) along side.

Yes, I know Adobe no longer has perpetual licenses, I'm using this only as a means for easier price comparisons.

The bare minimum for stand alone software that I would need would be $3,000, just because my machines have a function (that not many have, at least here in the US compared to just regular embroidery) and those can't be had on the lower end. In the commercial world, the bottom line price is $1500 and that's actually still considered high end consumer use. Sub $1k, some are good, some aren't. Some do some things really well, some don't do anything well.

However, that free add on on a free base program would net your more functionality then the Ai/plus embroidery plugin (at least based on their brochure which is outdated, has CS4 screenshots, but system requirements mention CC 2018 and Draw 2017, so some of it is still being updated) in some ways, but it does have one advantage, if the user needs it, not so much for me, but some do depend on that certain functionality, I value others over that, but not always the case.

Far more than just sign people use CorelDRAW. So there really is no good reason for Corel to include a RIP application in the retail box. Large format RIP software is a specialty niche product. Just like digitizing software for embroidery. You have to buy the add-ons separately and they're often not cheap, due largely to development costs being spread out among a limited customer base.

This is exactly why I was unsure that it would be as cost saving as letterman had though, however, there are instances, depending on what the user needs, to where cost savings can be had. It depends on the individual situation. Even among free extensions.

I, however, do not see Corel getting involved directly in any type of CAM type of extension for the very reason that you mentioned.

Even if Corel could include RIP software in the CorelDRAW package they would open a big can of worms in the process. There's lots of different printers out there. Corel would have to devote resources to fixing bugs and doing other software maintenance work. Plus, they would have to make sure the software was fully Postscript and PDF compliant. Right now they can barely keep up with maintaining CorelDRAW itself. The 2018 version of CorelDRAW has had only one update so far; there are bugs they haven't addressed for months.

I don't disagree with that. I thought all along that Corel wouldn't do it on their own. Almost all of the heavy lifting is done by the writers of said extension or software that wants direct integration with Corel, but can be run alone if needed.

Ironically though at one time, you could get Corel/Wilcom software (high end consumer version, DecoStudio) thru Corel's website. I thought that was strange, but that hasn't been the case in a long time, at least as long as I can remember.