• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDraw or Corel Photo Paint question.

Jim Hill

I am just learning to use CorelDraw and the version I use is CorelDraw 12

I have used PhotoShop for years but so many told me to try CorelDraw so I thought I would give it a shot.

When designing a new image do you use CorelDraw or Corel Paint or both?

For creating vector graphics of around 300 dpi would you use just CorelDraw? It says in the book that Corel Paint images are raster based and that CorelDraw 12 images are vector based.

I have purchased the book CorelDraw 12 the official guide along with a video called Mastering CorelDraw 12 and both are very helpful but the learning curve is not easy.

If you have used something other then the above mentioned products please let me know what worked for you.

Jim Hill

dclet

CorelDRAW! and CorelPhotoPAINT! is all you'll ever need. I use both.

I also use Adobe Photoshop occasionally..but never really got use to the interface...I have 2 brothers that are adobe "sheep" and I showed them how easy some things in Corel can be done compared with adobe products even they were impressed....especially with the transparency effects

I generally start in draw, add effects in Corel photopaint. You can go back an forth very quickly. You'll find CorelDRAW! & PhotoPaint up to the challenge.

You can even cut vinyl straight from corel. - no plug in needed and it works quite well.

I have used corel since ver 1.3

For final output (printing anyway) you will want convert everything to a bmp - tiff, eps, jpg etc....

Some tuts here
with more corel content coming soon.

Last edited:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
For creating vector graphics of around 300 dpi would you use just CorelDraw? It says in the book that Corel Paint images are raster based and that CorelDraw 12 images are vector based.

Your question makes no sense. Vector and dpi are mutually exclusive terms. Dpi is a term for a bitmap. The concept is non-existent for vector images.

A bitmap image is exactly that, an explicit or an implied value for each and every pixel in the image. A map of the bits which has a density expressed in dpi.

A vector image is not an image at all, merely a set of scalable Cartesian coordinates and other specifications as to pen up/down, fill, font, etc. sufficient to redraw the image. There's no dpi there.

That notwithstanding, your book is correct. Draw deals in vector images and PhotoPaint deals in bitmaps. Draw can and does deal with bitmaps but PhotoPaint's ability to deal with vector images is pretty much limited to editable text.

ICEdesign

Your question makes no sense. Vector and dpi are mutually exclusive terms. Dpi is a term for a bitmap. The concept is non-existent for vector images.

A bitmap image is exactly that, an explicit or an implied value for each and every pixel in the image. A map of the bits which has a density expressed in dpi.

A vector image is not an image at all, merely a set of scalable Cartesian coordinates and other specifications as to pen up/down, fill, font, etc. sufficient to redraw the image. There's no dpi there.

That notwithstanding, your book is correct. Draw deals in vector images and PhotoPaint deals in bitmaps. Draw can and does deal with bitmaps but PhotoPaint's ability to deal with vector images is pretty much limited to editable text.

enough of that mumbo jumbo.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
enough of that mumbo jumbo.

Which word didn't you understand, sport?

To which notion do you take exception? I'll admit that 'scalable Cartesian coordinates' is a bit of a redundancy, since Cartesian coordinates are inherently scalable. Other than that?