• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDRAW's Annoying Legacy Text Pop-Up

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Is there any way to get rid of that really annoying "Update Text" pop-up bar when you open an older CorelDRAW file with text not generated by the very latest CorelDRAW text engine? That pop-up is even more annoying than the Windows 10 notification thing that constantly tries to sell you MS Office 360. I've searched on the web and all through the settings in X7 and X8 and found nothing to defeat it.

For those not familiar with this issue, staring with version X6, CorelDRAW finally got its act together and offered proper support of OpenType. One drawback of this has been how it handles "legacy" text in files saved in earlier versions of CorelDRAW (or saved down to earlier versions). When an old CorelDRAW file with editable text is opened the application will always generate a blue bar across the top of the work space asking you to "Update Text." If you do not update the text CorelDRAW will pester you with that pop-up bar repeatedly while you're working with text objects and keep doing so until you update or just leave the stupid pop up there until you close the file.

I work with a lot of older files and have to share work with colleagues and co-workers who use older versions of CorelDRAW. If I make changes to the existing files I leave the old "legacy text" intact before re-saving the file in an old format like X3. It works far more reliably.

CorelDRAW does not have good backward compatibility with older versions, even when saving an X8 document down to X6. When saving down to X6 or X3 the program will ask if you want to keep the text editable. When I choose "yes" more often than not it will convert the text to outlines anyway.

Anyway, I'd like to see that "Update Text" pop-up disappear permanently. It's already easy enough to tell whether full OpenType functions are enabled in a document without some stupid pop-up pestering the user. It's already easy enough to open the Text Properties palette and update text there if the user wishes to do so. That pop-up is completely unnecessary.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I wouldn't complain about if it only involved one click. If you do not click the "update text" button the pop-up will continually re-appear over and over again while you are editing legacy text in an older CorelDRAW file. The pop-up will keep butting in until you click "update text" or close the file.

The CorelDRAW forums show a registry hack that at least works for X7. There is an entry for "ShowOpenTypeFeaturePopup." If the value is changed from 1 to 0 the popup should disappear.
Edit: I tried applying this registry hack and it just disables a bunch of the OpenType functions in CorelDRAW.

Last edited:

Scphotog

It's super annoying. Wish I could get rid of it... or otherwise configure it to just auto-update and allow me to move on.