• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corian Newbie

Inlaying Corian

HELLO TO ALL,

I am Bryan and I work with Performance Unlimited. We have something that is so new and revolutionary I can hardly contain my excitement to be part of this new world. Performance Unlimited is the creator of using Inlaid Corian to create the most beautiful, durable and reliable sign in the industry. The sign industry is new to me since I am a full time Firefighter, although I had the opportunity to attend the NBM Show in Charlotte and boy was I overwhelmed with the interest in this product. Well that is enough for now, but I am here to stay and if any of you Sign Folks want to stop in and talk about INLAID CORIAN SIGNS please do so, I would love the share some ideas. Have a great day.

Bryan

Inlaying Corian

Inlaid Corian

This is an idea that my father who has worked with Corian for over 20 years created. Corian is the same material used for counter tops. The idea behind using the Corian as a sign material is that Corian is a completely non-pourous, UV stable material. In using this material you literaly create a no maintainence sign. This stuff just last forever. The best way that I can explain this is that "this will be the last sign you ever buy."

What we do is use a CNC and route out the graphics and use a filler to create the design. The filler has the same physical features of the Corian when it comes to what it is capable of.

I can provide some samples and some pictures of some of the signs that we have created, just email me and either give me an email address or a mailing address.

Thanks for your time and interest.

Pro Image

Howdee from VA..................

I have seen the signs your talking about in one of the Sign Mags.............

geedub

So the filler lasts forever too?

I just routed some corian the other day, a 2'x8' sheet of it was 400 dollars and weighed about 150 pounds. Sounds like a PERFECT sign material. /sarcasm.

Flame

Just what I need............ another sign board that will apparently "last forever".

Maybe us sign guys want our signs to eventually wear out, so they'll order more?

lol.

Dude, time to take out that merchant membership.

iSign

Hi Bryan,
the samples arrived yesterday. The cut-away one is great because the half that shows the surface shows how perfectly the inlay fills the routed cavity, but the cutaway half shows that it really is 1/8" deep as well as filling the cavity completely down in the corners with no bubbles or voids. I appreciate the extra one as well, because I may leave it with the facilities maintenance coordinator so he can help me sell your product to the purchasing department.

I put a lot of R and D time and money into trying to be prepared to bid on these 27 artwork identification markers for outdoor sculptures at a 5 star resort. After getting routed plaques from one vendor, & laser engraving sample text into it by another vendor, I ended up buying a squeeze bottle with a needle to inject oneshot paint into my engraved copy, which I still have to sand down now. The result will be a nice sample in my showroom, but I wouldn't ever want to warrenty the length of time that paint will hold up out in the tropical sun, so I was real happy to hear about you guys.

Geedub, corian IS a perfect sign material sometimes, like when your client asks for it, as in my case,

...and Flamey,planned obsolescence is a marketing ploy older then you... but in a competitive world, if you bid on my job with silkscreened plaques & no warrenty, & I bid it with the exceptional durability & documentation of a proven product that offers them a longterm solution (even though I would never say "forever")

...the kind of client these signs are good for wouldn't care if yours were twice as cheap... they would want to pay for the durability, even at 400% markup before grouting them into sidewalks and tile walls.

Inlaying Corian

Thanks

iSign
I am so glad that this worked out. Thanks for the time yesterday and the guidance. This is a great site and I am glad that I had the chance to meet up with you on here. I look forward to working with you in the future. You take care.

andy

Corian is a pretty cool material- quite easy to work with.

We are authorised Corian fabricators for the sign industry... however, the number of people prepared to pay for the cost of Corian is pretty limited.

In some ways Corian are doing themselves no favours in relation to price- there are lots of potential applications for the sign trade- letters, routed panels etc. These ideas are great but not, it appears, great enough to justify the price- a decent 12mm stone effect sheet of Corian runs to several hundred quid BEFORE you work it.

iSign

I was watching some real estate marketing program & it was mentioning which words not to use in ads (cozy means "small" in peoples minds... and quaint means "old") but they also mentioned good words to add value to homes, like "Corian" countertops.

I agree not everyone wants to pay for quality, but, it's also true that if you don't offer it, nobody will buy it.

I've been maintaining an upscale commercial building for 10 years, where the tenant plaques are silkscreened copy, on 3" x 14" black polished Corian with a beveled edge, and they pay about $300 just for me to remove the plaque from the wall, reprint it, & install it again. A whole new plaque is another $250

I tried a few words in google, & actually found an artical about that TV show:

There are a lot of tricks of the trade that can cost you time and money, starting with the language in ads. Real estate listings -- with words like cozy, charming and fantastic -- make everything sound great.

... certain words, like charming, don't mean what you think they do. "It means it's old, it's dark, it's dank and it's small," he said.

"Fantastic, charming, spacious, those are terms that are correlated with lower sales prices," said co-author Stephen Dubner.

Many real estate agents told "20/20" Levitt is right that the meanings of certain words are stretched in real estate ads.

"Cozy most likely does mean small," said David Oppenheim of Halstead Properties.

"'Fantastic' is a lazy broker term. If you can't think of anything else, you tend to throw it in," Felicia De Shabris, a broker for Halstead.

By contrast, Levitt found that five descriptors were associated with higher prices: "state of the art," "gourmet," "maple," "granite" and "Corian" (that's a material for countertops).

I know it's a long quote, but it does end up on the point of "Corian" being recognized as a product associated with quality, high price, and good value.

Replicator

Inlaying Corian . . . Thanks for the samples and the video disc.

This seems like an amazing product . . . I'll be calling with some questions soon !

Signs365

Merchant Member
Yeah, that stuff is awesome! I have a buddy who owns a counter business and I actually made a wall plaque for him with his material and our cnc. Very cool stuff!