• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cornhole Boards

danger

I laminate all the graphics I coat with poly, corn hole boards included.
seems like a lot of work just to skip lamination & chance smearing your graphic and/or causing the product to fail entirely.
It seems to me that poly is a form of liquid lam

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you'd look up my joined date you'd see that i didn't just get into this trade this is how i was told it was being done and for the ebay "dog's" they are selling them at $30's a set and poly was pretty much in my eyes a liquid lam

Regardless of your 'JOIN' date. You asked the question yesterday. It's still a frickin' hack question and attitude on your part.

So, again, you are doing it the way they do it on ebay. Well, good for you, you're learning from some of the best on there. Why even ask a dumb question here, if you wanna argue the correct answers ??

Ya'd think by now..... 11 years later, you'd know how to do this. :banghead:

Most Bean Bag boards are around 2' x 3' or 4'. 2 of those with a digital print, whatever lam you wanna use for $30...... ?? You're more nuts than I first figured. Are you in a race to the bottom ?? Why even include yourself with ebay idiots ?? They're all hobbyists too with nothing better to do than ruin someone's business.

danger

Regardless of your 'JOIN' date. You asked the question yesterday. It's still a frickin' hack question and attitude on your part.

So, again, you are doing it the way they do it on ebay. Well, good for you, you're learning from some of the best on there. Why even ask a dumb question here, if you wanna argue the correct answers ??

Ya'd think by now..... 11 years later, you'd know how to do this. :banghead:

Most Bean Bag boards are around 2' x 3' or 4'. 2 of those with a digital print, whatever lam you wanna use for $30...... ?? You're more nuts than I first figured. Are you in a race to the bottom ?? Why even include yourself with ebay idiots ?? They're all hobbyists too with nothing better to do than ruin someone's business.

My question was with a attitude ? I dont see how but ok. It was a question I would not sell a decal with out lam unless it was getting cleared in some was so me thinking outside the box figuring on ij40 the prints with out lam cost me about $7 and i was selling them at $45 i could make ok money on them i make decals for my painter all the time and they want them as thin as they can get them and clear or poly is a form of lam am I wrong ? let me guess you use a solvent printer and wait 48 hours to laminate ?

CanuckSigns

It's more then $2 a set when you're using 8518 and switching out lam you waste a foot or two so it is what it is
why use 8518? you can use the cheapest store brand laminate, or as someone else said, use a decent laminate and you can avoid the poly, so you would save money in labour, as i assume you need to do multiple coats.

If you'd look up my joined date you'd see that i didn't just get into this trade this is how i was told it was being done and for the ebay "dog's" they are selling them at $30's a set and poly was pretty much in my eyes a liquid lam
If you are trying to compete with guys on flea-bay you are never going to make any money!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My question was with a attitude ? I dont see how but ok. It was a question I would not sell a decal with out lam unless it was getting cleared in some was so me thinking outside the box figuring on ij40 the prints with out lam cost me about $7 and i was selling them at $45 i could make ok money on them i make decals for my painter all the time and they want them as thin as they can get them and clear or poly is a form of lam am I wrong ? let me guess you use a solvent printer and wait 48 hours to laminate ?

Look danger, I am not the one here asking questions regardless of how basic they are. You Are. You are having problems with your job. We don't know if you are spraying, roller coating or brushing your poly on, do we ?? You give us half facts and expect us to answer these questions unconditionally. Maybe, that's why you're in a pickle...... you don't have all your facts straight. Just about every single person, including myself has said to laminate and you STILL wanna argue it. So, who is it again that is copping an attitude ?? It wasn't your original question.... but your sidebar remarks along the way. On the otherhand, what I do and use has nothing to do with YOUR predicament.

So, let's try this again.
  • Who is putting on the poly and how is it being applied ??
  • Who is applying the vinyl to the board ??
  • What happens first ??
  • Apply vinyl, then paint or paint then apply painted vinyl ??
  • How much times transpires ??
  • Whoever is painting could skip that cost , time and energy if you just ran it through a laminator.

You really don't hafta run something that small through a laminator, unless you are doing large count runs.

danger

why use 8518? you can use the cheapest store brand laminate, or as someone else said, use a decent laminate and you can avoid the poly, so you would save money in labour, as i assume you need to do multiple coats.

If you are trying to compete with guys on flea-bay you are never going to make any money!
Im not selling on ebay and the customer was giving me 50% then he could get them i dont wanna change on laminate for them i came on here as just to see if anyone had this issue everything we do other then decals that are getting cleared over for one painter we do stuff for and these cornhole boards get laminated we printon ij180 and use 8518 lam im not changing out lam for one or 2 boards a week

danger

Look danger, I am not the one here asking questions regardless of how basic they are. You Are. You are having problems with your job. We don't know if you are spraying, roller coating or brushing your poly on, do we ?? You give us half facts and expect us to answer these questions unconditionally. Maybe, that's why you're in a pickle...... you don't have all your facts straight. Just about every single person, including myself has said to laminate and you STILL wanna argue it. So, who is it again that is copping an attitude ?? It wasn't your original question.... but your sidebar remarks along the way. On the otherhand, what I do and use has nothing to do with YOUR predicament.

So, let's try this again.
  • Who is putting on the poly and how is it being applied ??
  • Who is applying the vinyl to the board ??
  • What happens first ??
  • Apply vinyl, then paint or paint then apply painted vinyl ??
  • How much times transpires ??
  • Whoever is painting could skip that cost , time and energy if you just ran it through a laminator.

You really don't hafta run something that small through a laminator, unless you are doing large count runs.

I just figured you like to argue lol so i gave it back. You asked a guy if his shop had doors i chuckled.
and i know laminated is a good option i was trying to figure it out before i told him sorry you are stuck with ebay
I was happy making $38 for about 15 mins of work.
Just so you know we lamantate everything that is getting applied unless its our painter that does helmets and want the decals thin and then i figure this would be ok cause the poly would also act as a liquid lam

So to your questions
1.The customer foam brushing he was rolling and had better results with the foam brush
2. The customer
3. First coat say most time is great has a little haze second coat it wants to lift of the areas that have ink
4. He applies the vinyl to the board then polys
5. He as done a coat waited 3 hours done a coat waited overnight seems to have the same results
6. I have offered them laminated and told him not to poly he was afraid of the edges getting lifted from playing we still might try this.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This poly you keep referring to...... what is it's base ??

I like to discuss things when someone on the other side participates in a well maintained style.

I wasn't being funny about the door. I meant barn doors, roll up doors any kind of door. I figured the person didn't think about doing some things outside. It was merely a suggestion. Whatever emotion you attach to it is fine by me. Funny, mean-spirited, odd, informative, etc. It's not all about the emotional spin you put on it. The facts are still the same.

Seems whatever product he is using for poly is lifting your ink and he's having some chemical reaction. You need to find out what cheap-a$$ poly he's using. Probably something for indoor furniture or something.

So again, you are not furnishing a finished product, which I thought you were, so you have two things wrong in your scenario and you are letting the customer dictate to you and ruining your prints because of his lack of knowledge and your lack of knowledge as to what he's doing and using. Therefore, you are not being very professional just letting it go out the door without further supervision.

Print than laminate....I think that some people don't understand that the laminate also acts as UV protector....

Not quite. It might defract some of the light so not quite as much UV light hits the image. But to say that Laminate is UV protector is false. There are laminates that are UV protective. But there is a huge difference between UV Lam and Non-UV Lam in the long run.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We always say the laminates provide an additional ultraviolet and durable physical protection for selected media.... as described by the company itself. We sometimes say it provides a UV inhibitor and will help most digital graphics to last a few more months or years according to the circumstances.

AKwrapguy

Not quite. It might defract some of the light so not quite as much UV light hits the image. But to say that Laminate is UV protector is false. There are laminates that are UV protective. But there is a huge difference between UV Lam and Non-UV Lam in the long run.

You are correct there is a big difference between lams, just so used to only using UV lams....

rossmosh

How do you plan on making money? I'm being serious. If you charge wholesale pricing to the customer at 2x3, you're looking at $15 for each board for decent calendarded vinyl and laminate. That's $30/set and that's just printing ready to go art. I wouldn't even include install in that price.

What's the point of doing this job if you aren't going to make money?