Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coro on a router

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by letterman7, Jul 6, 2012.

1. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Did we cover this somewhere? I did a search but didn't turn up much. Has anyone been able to cut 3mm coro on a router and not have to deal with the fuzzies on the edge? I've got a bunch of shapes to do and I'd rather not deal with trying to clean the edges. I thought I had read somewhere someone had rigged a knife to act as a drag knife without turning on the spindle?

R

Tags:
  2. SebastienL

SebastienL Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    The oscillating knife you talk about is an option on some routers. There is no way to get a clean edge with a rotating bit on coro. What I usually do is cut a template out of plexi on the router and use that to cut the coro with a knife.

Hope this is helpfull!
    :toasting:

3. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think a cutawl would be your best bet - have used mine like that and it works good on coro.

4. letterman7

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    That's what I thought. Maybe it was the reciprocating knife I had read about...
    I've got several different shapes to cut and I hate the thought of using a cutawl or jigsaw to do these.. just a pain to do. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

5. Typestries

Typestries Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2007
    NJ | VT
    Brand new /very sharp onsrud 2 flute 1/8" high feed rate eg 400ipm+ works great.

6. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    laser?

7. nwsigns

nwsigns Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Monroe wa
    Its been a while but I tried lots of bits and the best was a straight 2 flute in climb mode - got very clean edges.

8. FireSprint

FireSprint Very Active Member

How many are you doing? Might be something to have die cut.

9. letterman7

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Never thought about a straight flute - I'll have to try that. Been experimenting with the spiral upcuts. A laser would be useful if I had enough to sub out - I don't at this point. There's less than 20 that I need to do. Same thing with a die - they're all different, so the investment wouldn't be worth it.

I'll be trying the Onsrud bits next week, though! Thanks, guys!