• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Coronavirus Holding up LED suppliers

Anyone else having problems getting your supplies from China? We manufacture our own LED cabinets and use modules from China, like every other company. Every one of my suppliers are not even back at work, much less have any stock left. I order 40ft containers at a time and I am worried this is far from over.

C

ColoPrinthead

I work for a furniture store and we are having issues getting supply from China, I guess we are lucky the tariffs led us to sourcing more product from countries other than China.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I work for a furniture store and we are having issues getting supply from China, I guess we are lucky the tariffs led us to sourcing more product from countries other than China.

There's nothing like a good contingency plan to help keep your lights on and your door open.

JB

WildWestDesigns

The old issue of having the majority of one's income coming from one client could easily apply to having the majority of one's source of inputs coming from one supplier or even one country of origin.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
U.S. companies spend $80 billion a year for auto parts made in China. Look for new automobile shortages in the near future.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Just make certain you have your mask on next time you venture into one of those 40' containers!

Speaking of shipping containers....

We bought a really nice 20 foot brand new (one-trip) container 3 years ago for a sandblast booth. A colleague I know is also considering getting one to do the same. Some container companies are only offering 7-day price quotes as the situation in China continues to play out.

Granted, the container he's purchasing has been state-side for months so there's no risk of contamination, but as the regional supply begins to dwindle you gotta expect something to change.

JB

decalman

Anyone else having problems getting your supplies from China? We manufacture our own LED cabinets and use modules from China, like every other company. Every one of my suppliers are not even back at work, much less have any stock left. I order 40ft containers at a time and I am worried this is far from over.

China is going thru plagues.
Huge Crisis may be on the horizon.

C

ColoPrinthead

The old issue of having the majority of one's income coming from one client could easily apply to having the majority of one's source of inputs coming from one supplier or even one country of origin.
We were sourcing a little under 18% or less from China pre-traiffs, not sure where that number stands now.

Joel golden

Well, I sell a ton on amazon and am part of several amazon seller communities. I also have many friends in China. Most factories are on lockdown until the first week of March. Starting in March, the government is supposedly sending in inspectors to make sure Everything has been disinfected. The problem is that there are not nearly enough inspectors to do this and factories don’t know the extent of the workers who are sick or recovering. According to a pastor I know over there, things are much worse than we know. Thankfully for me, everything I sell is made in the good ole USA with products manufactured in the USA...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I heard the same thing about the real conditions over there. Nothing at all like what we're being led to believe. The chinese government is censoring all communications going in and out of china with severe penalties, so most are being careful what leaks out. They have a very strict curfew. Disobey it and feel the consequences. They should have our politicians over there, then the whole world would know what's going on...... according to pencilneck.

Last edited:

Joel golden

I heard the same thing about the real conditions over there. Nothing at all like what we're being led to believe. The chinese government is censoring all communications going in and out of china with severe penalties, so most are being careful what leaks out. They have a very strict curfew. Disobey it and feel the consequences. They should have our politicians over there, then the whole world would know what's going on...... according to pencilneck.
Gino, my last communication with my friend was 2 weeks ago and he had to “break the firewall” to send the message. He’s locked in his apartment with armed guards keeping people inside the complex. He’s seen many people just collapse on the street walking towards the hospital..they can’t do anything because the guards won’t let them out. He said it’s heart wrenching just watching people die in the streets and see their body lie there waiting for the “ambulance”/morgue truck to pick them up. He’s 500 miles from Wuhan too... all social media has been scrubbed for over a month now and any keywords on the bad list will get your message deleted and cause personal issues... China is not a good country (unless you’re leading it or close to Xi..then you have it pretty good)

OP:
All of my contacts, over 100 of them, still have social media etc. I talk to most of them daily.
The situation is not the best. They are allowed to leave their home 2 times a day for food, etc. All of my contacts seem to feel things are getting better from what they see, but.... they still do not have date they will be able to go back to work.

ams

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is there are 0 led chip manufacturers in the US. There may be LED module manufacturers, but they order all driver chips from china, as the chinese don't give a rip what goes into water, and here in the US, the EPA would make the cost to produce ridiculous.

I think this one is: https://www.usled.com/about-us

ams

I'm far from an expert, but you'll notice that they state "US LED is dedicated to keeping manufacturing here in the USA and because of that, much of our product line is assembled right here in Houston, Texas."
It's my understanding that they buy the chips from china, bring them into an automated production facility here in the US, where they are placed in casings, soldered, and lenses applied, so the same chip can make any number of different modules. Evidently this part of the process is relatively green, but the manufacture of the chips initially is a toxic procedure.
Once again, not an expert.

It's hard to say, because their assembly is in Texas, but their manufacturing could be in another state. They don't say anything about imports or sourced materials.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
A lot of manufacturing processes create hazardous waste but systems are in place to deal with it so its really a non issue.
IMO, most of the reasons people put forth for chinese manufacturing are nothing but an excuse. Fact is, its just easier to run a business that doesnt make stuff or just assembles. If the easy boat continues sailing away, companies are going to start looking harder at in house production of everything for self preservation. Sourcing from other countries is just a bandaid