Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion Coronavirus Holding up LED suppliers

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Rick Tennyson, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Rick Tennyson

Rick Tennyson Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Mid-South
    Anyone else having problems getting your supplies from China? We manufacture our own LED cabinets and use modules from China, like every other company. Every one of my suppliers are not even back at work, much less have any stock left. I order 40ft containers at a time and I am worried this is far from over.

Tags:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ColoPrinthead

ColoPrinthead Swollen Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Donkeytown, Colorado
    I work for a furniture store and we are having issues getting supply from China, I guess we are lucky the tariffs led us to sourcing more product from countries other than China.

• Like Like x 1
  3. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    There's nothing like a good contingency plan to help keep your lights on and your door open.

JB

4. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    The old issue of having the majority of one's income coming from one client could easily apply to having the majority of one's source of inputs coming from one supplier or even one country of origin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    U.S. companies spend $80 billion a year for auto parts made in China. Look for new automobile shortages in the near future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Just make certain you have your mask on next time you venture into one of those 40' containers!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  7. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Speaking of shipping containers....

We bought a really nice 20 foot brand new (one-trip) container 3 years ago for a sandblast booth. A colleague I know is also considering getting one to do the same. Some container companies are only offering 7-day price quotes as the situation in China continues to play out.

Granted, the container he's purchasing has been state-side for months so there's no risk of contamination, but as the regional supply begins to dwindle you gotta expect something to change.

JB

8. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Don't order from China, support US manufacturing

9. decalman

decalman Active Member

Sep 2, 2012
    phoenix
    China is going thru plagues.
    Huge Crisis may be on the horizon.

10. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I bet your American Made Signs started from ACM made in Chiner..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Easier said than done

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. ColoPrinthead

ColoPrinthead Swollen Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Donkeytown, Colorado
    We were sourcing a little under 18% or less from China pre-traiffs, not sure where that number stands now.

13. Joel golden

Joel golden Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Louisville
    Well, I sell a ton on amazon and am part of several amazon seller communities. I also have many friends in China. Most factories are on lockdown until the first week of March. Starting in March, the government is supposedly sending in inspectors to make sure Everything has been disinfected. The problem is that there are not nearly enough inspectors to do this and factories don’t know the extent of the workers who are sick or recovering. According to a pastor I know over there, things are much worse than we know. Thankfully for me, everything I sell is made in the good ole USA with products manufactured in the USA...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I heard the same thing about the real conditions over there. Nothing at all like what we're being led to believe. The chinese government is censoring all communications going in and out of china with severe penalties, so most are being careful what leaks out. They have a very strict curfew. Disobey it and feel the consequences. They should have our politicians over there, then the whole world would know what's going on...... according to pencilneck.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  15. Joel golden

Joel golden Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Louisville
    Gino, my last communication with my friend was 2 weeks ago and he had to “break the firewall” to send the message. He’s locked in his apartment with armed guards keeping people inside the complex. He’s seen many people just collapse on the street walking towards the hospital..they can’t do anything because the guards won’t let them out. He said it’s heart wrenching just watching people die in the streets and see their body lie there waiting for the “ambulance”/morgue truck to pick them up. He’s 500 miles from Wuhan too... all social media has been scrubbed for over a month now and any keywords on the bad list will get your message deleted and cause personal issues... China is not a good country (unless you’re leading it or close to Xi..then you have it pretty good)

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  16. Rick Tennyson

Rick Tennyson Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Mid-South
    OP:
    All of my contacts, over 100 of them, still have social media etc. I talk to most of them daily.
    The situation is not the best. They are allowed to leave their home 2 times a day for food, etc. All of my contacts seem to feel things are getting better from what they see, but.... they still do not have date they will be able to go back to work.

17. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is there are 0 led chip manufacturers in the US. There may be LED module manufacturers, but they order all driver chips from china, as the chinese don't give a rip what goes into water, and here in the US, the EPA would make the cost to produce ridiculous.

18. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Actually I didn't get introduced to ACM until 6 or 7 years after I started.

19. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Just have to research more.

20. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I think this one is: https://www.usled.com/about-us