Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coroplast and bubbles

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by GenuineVarsity, Sep 9, 2008.

1. GenuineVarsity

GenuineVarsity New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    OK, newbie question. I'm trying to do a wet installation of vinyl on coroplast. Size of the vinyl is about 15" x 15". I'm getting very inconsistent results (bubbles), even with commercial app fluid. Any suggestions?

What type of squeegie should I use? One person on this forum said they used a window cleaning one. Is soft better?

How much pressure? I've tried hard pressure right away, I've tried soft pressure in order to work the fluid out first.

Go in the direction of the flutes or against? I've had it work both ways, but nothing consistent. I've seen posts saying both.

I know I must be missing something since I've tried this so many times. Any help would be appreciated.

Tags:
  2. animenick65

animenick65 Very Active Member

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Use a hard squegee like a gold one. Coro can be hard to apply vinyl on as it has many grooves in which bubbles can get caught. Make sure to squeegee from the center out with lots of pressure. Making sure you do a good tape job is equally as important. App fluid should certainly help. I would spray a little app fluid on the tape after you have applied to help release the adhesive in the tape. Sometimes when you try to pull the tape up when you do a wet install it pulls the vinyl back up.

3. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    Install wet on coro?...not me.....pop the bubbles!!!!....it's temporary signage.

4. animenick65

animenick65 Very Active Member

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    This is true. If its intended for a long term sign then it should be an upsell to pvc/alumalite/MDO. We don't nit pick on the coro signs too much around here. Design it, cut it and send it out the door.

5. Raulrdz

Raulrdz Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Brownsville, Texas
    Big Squeegee all the way, minimal bubbles:Welcome:

6. imaSIGNr

imaSIGNr Very Active Member

Jan 15, 2006
    only use cheap vinyl on coro. Less bubbles. Don't do wet, squeege with the flutes......and don't worry about it. temp. signs

7. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    never do coro wet....use a hinge application with silicon paper....and squeegee hard with the flutes....

8. Shovelhead

Dec 5, 2003
    I must amend before someone calls me on it.
    If I'm banging out (20) d/f yard signs I'm going wet to save time.
    But again. it's temporary signage. I'm never been called on bubbles
    on coroplast. Stop over analyzing!

9. signrios

signrios Active Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Rio Grande Valley
    use a felt squegee this has given me great result for coro and glass.

10. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

oh those wun-er-ful $5 works of talent.....and you worry bout bubbles???))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

11. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    big squeegee for printed vinyl on coro
    speed press for cut vinyl on coro

Last resort:
    mask, tape, & hinge. Nah.. I'd never do it this way... and never WET!

12. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I use 651 on coro, always applied dry. Try to squeegee with the flutes not agin 'em.
    Love.....Jill

13. chasegraphics

chasegraphics Member

Sep 22, 2006

Always...Always...651 and a felt squeegee. Tape the top left to right, Flutes running up and down, i use medium pressure starting from the center I work left then right but always starting from the center.

:U Rock: jillbeans

14. GenuineVarsity

GenuineVarsity New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Thanks

Thanks for all of the input. It doesn't appear that there is a consensus on installing vinyl on coro.

Sorry for the lack of introduction. I sell sporting goods (shirts, uniforms, etc) and started making sports yard signs for some of the local teams.

I'm using 651 and normally a gold squeegee. I've been doing a dry installation but thought that wet might be quicker as well as allow easier registration. I can do one wet install that looks great and the next one is full of bubbles. I can't figure out what I'm doing differently.

With a dry install I'm getting a few bubbles that I pop. I know its not suppose to be a work of art but if I can get it closer to perfect that would be good.

Thanks again to everyone.:U Rock:

15. Typestries

Typestries Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2007
    NJ | VT
    I use 1224 on coro, never ever a bubble! Before that the colorspan, but before that we made thousands of coros with wet app, yes yes, you're not supposed to, but never a failure or bubble and its way fast. Have you tried the big squeegee on coros? Or, even better find a good reliable wholesaler that can get your coros to you next day for $4-$6 each, and make more money working on profitable jobs.

16. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Check out the links in my signature. It don't matter which way you go with the Big Squeegee. No wet apply and it is fast. A 15" square takes about one minute to apply.

:Welcome: to :signs101::toasting:

Thanks for the good words folks. The answer to this question is in the archives but I'm always glad to have the question asked.

17. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Dale, your yard sign tool is the cat's meow for coroplast signs.
    Absolutely the fastest way to lay 'em down without bubbles or wrinkles.
    (Other than a flatbed or screen printer.) :thumb: :biggrin:

18. WhiskeyDreamer

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften

if your "banging out" 20 d/f yard signs, wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to screen print them....or digitally print if the design called for it???

am i over analyzing???:Big Laugh

19. Shovelhead

Dec 5, 2003
    no

yes

20. WhiskeyDreamer

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    how can you say no to that??? why waste the time to apply vinyl when you can print the same amount of signs in half the time?? or worst case scenario, sub it out?? and i don't think i'm overanalyzing...just stating the obvious...:tongue: