• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Correct ORDER of Calibration on ANY roland?

splizaat

Hey guys....I'm curious if any of you have a theory on the correct ORDER of operations when it comes to calibrating roland machines? Do you find better calibrations when you calibrate one adjustment, before another?

-unidirectional
-Bi Direction
-Print/Cut Alignment

Am I missing anything? We let profiles determine feed setting rather than the printer.

And do you calibrate with "environmental match" on or off? Does this setting void when calibrating? Do you usually leave on or off during regular operation?

Just having fun today, we have some down time.

greysquirrel

The printer is simple to perform the feed calibration...I'd never leave that to the profile...besides all can be affected by too much heat (stretch) and change of the carriage height....

perform feed cal the bidirectional....

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In the service menu you run these in order > Bias, Vertical, Horizontal, Bi-Directional Default

Then in user mode run these > Bi-Directional and print feed calibration

I always like to run the encoder setup, calibration and environmental match before aligning.

Run the print/cut alignments after running the print alignments.

splizaat

In the service menu you run these in order > Bias, Vertical, Horizontal, Bi-Directional Default

Then in user mode run these > Bi-Directional and print feed calibration

I always like to run the encoder setup, calibration and environmental match before aligning.

Run the print/cut alignments after running the print alignments.

Encoder setup/calibration? on VS540i...please explain the process!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I haven't run into the VS series too much in the field yet but it should be fairly similar on that model as the older ones. Basically, you just go into service mode and, in the service menu, find, "encoder setup". Hit enter, follow the prompts and it automatically runs the encoder setup. This mode tells the machine that it sees the encoder strip and it is the correct length. The same process is used for the encoder calibration. Find it in the menu, hit enter and let it do it's thing. This mode syncs the encoder strip with the encoder disc inside the scan motor to allow for the print/cut alignment to be done properly. The environmental match is a user mode encoder calibration that adjusts for the different environmental conditions that can cause the encoder strip to expand and contract. As I have not worked on that model very much, I believe it handles the environmental match differently then the older models where you can tell it to run every time you turn the machine on instead of an on demand process like I am used to.

phototec

I haven't run into the VS series too much in the field yet but it should be fairly similar on that model as the older ones. Basically, you just go into service mode and, in the service menu, find, "encoder setup". Hit enter, follow the prompts and it automatically runs the encoder setup. This mode tells the machine that it sees the encoder strip and it is the correct length. The same process is used for the encoder calibration. Find it in the menu, hit enter and let it do it's thing. This mode syncs the encoder strip with the encoder disc inside the scan motor to allow for the print/cut alignment to be done properly. The environmental match is a user mode encoder calibration that adjusts for the different environmental conditions that can cause the encoder strip to expand and contract. As I have not worked on that model very much, I believe it handles the environmental match differently then the older models where you can tell it to run every time you turn the machine on instead of an on demand process like I am used to.

I have been having some contour cutting problems with my SP-540V, when the cutter is cutting you can hear and see what sounds and looks like steps, not long smooth cuts, looks like a jagged cut. I have ordered a new blade holder, however I don't think that is the issue. Attached are two images SMOOTH CUTS from a month ago and then the JAGGED CUTS as of the last few weeks.

Do you have any thoughts on what would cause the jagged (stepped) cuts?

It has been suggested I need to adjust the cable, can you explain how I do that? Thanks

Attachments

• SMOOTH CONTOUR CUTS.jpg
    SMOOTH CONTOUR CUTS.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 131
  • JAGGED CONTOUR CUTS.jpg
    JAGGED CONTOUR CUTS.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 188