• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corten Steel

fresh

I have a client who is looking for a sign that will rust over time... So my google-fu turned up Cor-Ten (or weathering) steel. Has anyone used this material? How have you cut it? We can't cut steel in house, so I'll be subbing at least part of this job out.

My original design called for a steel frame / border with finished wood panels, but that would require the welds to be perfect. AND this sign is going to be about 3x10 and projecting off a wall (Oy, I have no idea how they were approved for such a huge, projecting sign, but they got the go-ahead, so here we are!) So I'm thinking about flip-flopping my materials... wood frame, steel (not structural) interior.

Any advice?

rjssigns

No need for exotic "weathering steel". Hot or cold rolled anything will work just fine. I've done it. The other thing I've done for the panels themselves is my version of Photoshop Rot. From a few feet away you would never know it's a digital print on acrylic. Nice and crispy. LOL

fresh

No need for exotic "weathering steel". Hot or cold rolled anything will work just fine. I've done it. The other thing I've done for the panels themselves is my version of Photoshop Rot. From a few feet away you would never know it's a digital print on acrylic. Nice and crispy. LOL

Thank you! Steel is a whole new playground for us, we have a lot to learn.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The only difference is that Cor-Ten rusts to a point and then "self-seals" and stops rusting. Regular steel will continue to rust and possibly stain or damage anything that that rust runs on to.

The Cor-Ten is typically flame cut.

fmg

Yes.Here is a sign we made using Corten steel we had shipped from Arizona.
It rusts out really nice.and we like that a lot!

Attachments

• 561389_10151058467199284_836113561_n.jpg
    561389_10151058467199284_836113561_n.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 620320_10151057967139284_1319848509_o.jpg
    620320_10151057967139284_1319848509_o.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 102

rjssigns

From what I read it was to be a steel frame with wood panels thus my suggestion. Using a rot 'n' stop for a panel is another thing all together.

The welds/frame don't have to be pretty just structurally sound. The cobbled together look can add to the theme.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Your customer will have to put up with "rusty brown" until it reaches the dark patina. Regular carbon steel stays ugly brown. I'd go with the Corten.

You should be able to have Corten laser or abrasive waterjet cut.

JB

fresh

Your customer will have to put up with "rusty brown" until it reaches the dark patina. Regular carbon steel stays ugly brown. I'd go with the Corten.

You should be able to have Corten laser or abrasive waterjet cut.

JB

Now to find a local laser / waterjet cutter!