• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cost effective method to print 500 posters

Drum

Seems like you'd have to do a ton more then just 500 posters a month to justify a machine that could do that much cheaper.

We get 27"x39" 100lb gloss posters, 500 for ~$1.75/ea

As I mentioned, we currently have a 72 uvr that we are running hard but needs to be replaced in short order. Just trying to get a feel for the economics of newer printers and what to expect for "hard" production costs. If we could move some work in-house it would help pay for a new unit.

We could use a good outsourcing partner if anyone is in our vicinity. We are in Northeast Mississippi.

Drum

Outsource to a good offset printer. There are many factors to consider and something that people do not talk about is Opportunity Cost. That is the value of the best forgone alternative that was not chosen. In plain terms if you have to run the printer, load media and trim posters etc... could you have used that time to pursue higher margin jobs that take less effort? Many times people focus on the "carrot", not the effort it took to put the carrot in place.

We have been outsourcing to an offset printer.
Essentially, we need a new (or good used) flatbed printer and I am turning over rocks to find a way to justify it. From the feedback on here, it sounds like I need to just keep on outsourcing this particular job. Can't hurt to poll knowledgeable folks such as yourselves to see if there is something we're overlooking.

Drum

so i guess they aren't promotional images. right now the fastest paper based printer is an s series canon right? they are dirt cheap, maybe you could get about four 44" models and knock out the order in a day?

canon sell the printer for free adds about $3k in ink with the package. when you run out of ink, use aftermarket refillables from china.

I'm thinking I saw this printer at GraphExpo. If it's the printer I'm remembering, I think it only printed on uncoated paper.

RycckG

Although the Xante Excelagraphixs 4200 has a reasonable list price and is fast enough, it has a consumable cost of .30 p/sqft at 100% coverage. You are currently paying well under that... The price you are getting is very good... are you also being changed a plate cost? I deal with a lot of litho.. $2.50 for 500 is a great number.