• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cost for running your printer, laminator, vinyl cutter and rolls roller

Mata

Hi all

I am in the process of re-working my prices and I am trying to find the best way to do this. I'm ok with overheads etc but I want to change how I work out printing costs.

I want to price everything to the metre so I know that 5 metres of something costs so much on material, so much on ink etc etc

I know how much ink costs per metre (roughly), I know how much my material costs, I know how long a metre takes to print on my printer with various settings. I'm unsure how long I take setting the printer up, loading vinyl etc???

I suppose I am looking for validation and whether I am onthe right path to cretaing a clearer price rather than $15 per metre for materials and then $25 per hour for print.

OK, let's say my vinyl costs $5 a metre, my laminate costs $5 a metre an my ink costs $5 a metre, I know that 1 metre of printed vinyl which is laminated costs me $15.

Thats fine, but I have paid a lot for a printer to print that vinyl, I paid a lot for a vinyl cutter to cut that vinyl and I paid a lot for a laminator to laminate the vinyl etc.

I currently have a fixed rate cost for 1 hours print which someone told me to use and its worked for me but I want to get a clearer picture.

How do you guys do it?

I'm thinking... Take the purchase cost of the printer, let's say this lasts 5 years, add 5 years of service costs to that, divide the total cost by 5 (years), divide that by 12 (months), divide that by 4.3 (weeks) then divide that by 5 (days), then finally divide that by 8 (hours). I then have an hourly cost for that printer, same goes for the laminator, vinyl cutter and rolls roller.

I then take the required job, work out how long it will take to print and that will give me the cost for the printer. I then add the ink cost, vinyl cost, laminate cost etc and that should give me a cost per metre.

Thoughts?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I currently have a fixed rate cost for 1 hours print which someone told me to use and its worked for me but I want to get a clearer picture
Not only should you get a clearer picture of how your shop is performing, but the time and trouble you're taking might help you glean how your competition is calculating their similar goods and services compared to yours. You might be able to easily recognize their loss-leaders, their labor, their equipment costs, materials, etc. It just takes a little arithmetic and not too much detective work. There is a caveat however, no matter how accurate the calculations are, sometimes the pricing of one's products make absolutely no sense at all, and that fact will likely be recognized straightaway.