• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cost plus pricing

John HC

Hey all.. hope everyone had a splendid holiday season...now back to the grind...

I am looking for some advice on how to work out cost plus pricing - specifically - pricing a 10ft tall x 20ft wide alumacorr sign - single-face, I will be applying cut vinyl, 2color, text heavy layout - it is for an Auto mechanic - he has plywood currently, and has to re-paint every two years. Coincidentally, I have an 8ft x 20ft wall mounted alumacorr sign across the street from his location, that was installed a little over ten years ago, cut, high performance vinyl - I produced this when I was doing signage as a side-gig, I cut a small (like...really small)profit on this job, nowhere near what I should have made - it was meant to function as an indicator of the quality of work that I could produce - that being said - I would like to charge accordingly for the new sign...still being fair to customer -
I priced it using sign pricing software - am currently looking at right around $3700.00 - does this sound realistic to you pros out there?

please advise -
thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds good. Depends on how much you think you should make. Just throwing a dart doesn't necessarily work, but if this if for the sign and NO installation, you should be fine. Not the number we'd be at, but then, it takes all kinds to make the world go round. :rock-n-roll:

J Hill Designs

Hey all.. hope everyone had a splendid holiday season...now back to the grind...

I am looking for some advice on how to work out cost plus pricing - specifically - pricing a 10ft tall x 20ft wide alumacorr sign - single-face, I will be applying cut vinyl, 2color, text heavy layout - it is for an Auto mechanic - he has plywood currently, and has to re-paint every two years. Coincidentally, I have an 8ft x 20ft wall mounted alumacorr sign across the street from his location, that was installed a little over ten years ago, cut, high performance vinyl - I produced this when I was doing signage as a side-gig, I cut a small (like...really small)profit on this job, nowhere near what I should have made - it was meant to function as an indicator of the quality of work that I could produce - that being said - I would like to charge accordingly for the new sign...still being fair to customer -
I priced it using sign pricing software - am currently looking at right around $3700.00 - does this sound realistic to you pros out there?

please advise -
thanks

3700 sounds good, thats like 740 for a 4x8

Andy D

Funny, I just got done pricing out a similar job, except it was two 10' x 22' walls and printed directly to the composite aluminum,
then laminated, no cut vinyl.

Mine was priced about $1,200 less than yours per wall.
Not knowing your area or how much time and $ is involved with the cut vinyl,
my guess is you're too high.

John HC

Funny, I just got done pricing out a similar job, except it was two 10' x 22' walls and printed directly to the composite aluminum,
then laminated, no cut vinyl.

Mine was priced about $1,200 less than yours per wall.
Not knowing your area or how much time and $ is involved with the cut vinyl,
my guess is you're too high.

Andy D...will involve way more labor than printed, laminated...will last longer and retain color value much longer also - thanks for your input

John HC

cost-plus pricing

Sounds good. Depends on how much you think you should make. Just throwing a dart doesn't necessarily work, but if this if for the sign and NO installation, you should be fine. Not the number we'd be at, but then, it takes all kinds to make the world go round. :rock-n-roll:

Gino, I'm looking for input regarding "Cost-plus" pricing - have you never used this process? would you care to elaborate by adding your suggested price to the comment? That's especially what i was looking for from contributors -

"Not the number we'd be at, but then, it takes all kinds to make the world go round."
:cool:

...what kind would I be...?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, I'm looking for input regarding "Cost-plus" pricing - have you never used this process? would you care to elaborate by adding your suggested price to the comment? That's especially what i was looking for from contributors -

"Not the number we'd be at, but then, it takes all kinds to make the world go round."
:cool:

...what kind would I be...?

Ya know, I was just thinking this is the pricing section, so we could get a little further into it, but since you have that kinda attitude, like you deserve everything, I guess this is where I'll just end my contributions for ya.

It could've gone real easy for you, but when someone demands I.... or anyone else..... fork over all of the information on how to do everything, why don't you just ask me to make it, too ??

You don't give any layout designs, degree of difficulty, if you are installing it, what you are paying for all of your substrates and vinyl, how fast/slow you are at what you do, logos being duplicated, how much you went back & forth with your customer, what your overhead is or if you just work out of your dining room, so I guess, you're the kinda person who wants stuff immediately for nothing.

:wink: And for the record...... 'Cost-plus' pricing is not a very effective way of calculating your numbers when in a competitive market.​

Andy D

Ya know, I was just thinking this is the pricing section, so we could get a little further into it, but since you have that kinda attitude, like you deserve everything, I guess this is where I'll just end my contributions for ya.

It could've gone real easy for you, but when someone demands I.... or anyone else..... fork over all of the information on how to do everything, why don't you just ask me to make it, too ??

You don't give any layout designs, degree of difficulty, if you are installing it, what you are paying for all of your substrates and vinyl, how fast/slow you are at what you do, logos being duplicated, how much you went back & forth with your customer, what your overhead is or if you just work out of your dining room, so I guess, you're the kinda person who wants stuff immediately for nothing.
:wink: And for the record...... 'Cost-plus' pricing is not a very effective way of calculating your numbers when in a competitive market.​

Gino, I'm not sure.... but I don't think that's the way he meant it...:popcorn:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Installed, I'd be about $5K. Not sure what this whole cost plus pricing means. EVEVRYTHING should be cost plus....to cover overhead and make a profit. Then again, we don't do wholesale.