• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cost/Sq. Ft.???

ImageFx

I realize that ink usage is dependant on saturation of the image but has anyone averaged it out what the cost/sq.ft. using SS2 inks on a JV3 is? Just curious of an accurate number rather than what the sales guy tells you.

TheSnowman

No idea. I don't even remember what the salesman tells me anymore...$.50 or $.75 I was thinkin'. I could be way wrong though. I just plug all that info into Estimate, and it figures it out for me.

ImageFx

And do you find your estimator helps and is fairly accurate. I used to have an Excel sheet i could do that with but havent a clue where it is now.

iSign

No idea. I don't even remember what the salesman tells me anymore...$.50 or $.75 I was thinkin'. I could be way wrong though. I just plug all that info into Estimate, and it figures it out for me.

Unless I'm missing something, there is no way Estimate can figure that out for you... the numbers you would have to "plug in to estimate" are the numbers this thread is asking for, right?.

Once you know your costs on various materials and your labor costs on certain jobs, then Estimate can help price out finished jobs... but I don't see how it can figure price per foot for you.

By the way, I want to start using Estimate. I've owned it for years, but never took the plunge and started using it. They just sent me an email, stating that since 2.0 is a year old, they will quit selling plug-ins for it next month, and phase out tech support. Do you use 2.0, and if so, did you upgrade or buy 2.0 from the start? I hope to get some advice at some point, regarding the opportunity to upgrade my older version, before i bother learning it. Any opinions for me?

wildside

without all other overhead included.....

the cost of the ink, material, maintenance supplies, etc....truly it costs about $1-2 a square to operate the machine in a small/medium production shop.

really the ink is about .60 with heavy saturation, but with the whole ball of wax included, my opinion is that it costs $2 a square minimum, then add laminate.....and labor, and overhead...and then join in with the .99 a square guys...yeah!!!!:omg:

ScotJ

$2 per square foot? Thats either pricey shop space, or not alot of volume - or both!

We run aroud $1.2/sq running oem HS ink through our JV5 (including other misc. expenses)

If your running aftermarket inks for ~$100/l you can be looking to cut down your ink costs by as much a $.40-$.60/sq depending on your consumption and profile saturation.

wildside

well all shop space is pricey, labor is pricey, i just don't get how a pack of gum costs more than a square foot of vinyl, i have tried to comprehend it, and have decided that it just makes no sense....:peace!:

it costs money to operate a machine, consumables, labor, parts, warranty, etc all add up, i know a guy near here that was selling at $2 a square "cause he could", first time a head went out he couldn't afford to fix it.....

signpro

Manager
depending on what settings we use, we AVERAGE anywhere from $.45 to $.95 / sq ft on our Roland... using OEM inks... not sure if that's close to the mimaki's or not though.
(these are my best estimates based on coverage, etc)