• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Could not initialize scanner because the file could not be found".

BLB

Thanks for any help with this!

I have CS2 and an HP Officejet G85 (old one) and runWindows XP. It prints fine but now it won't scan ("Could not initialize scanner because the file could not be found").
Yesterday I turned off my firewall protection and it started scanning fine I tried that again but had no luck. I am not very computor savy if any one can help.
Oh earlier it brought up yhe window saying Twain_32 not found or missing???

Thanks Again!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Your scanner should have a disk with drivers on it. You need to install the twain driver into Windows. Once that is there some progams will automatically look for it there and others need to be told in their setup to look in the twain or twain_32 folder for the driver.

Scanning in Photoshop CS2 is done by using the import command on the File Menu and then selecting the program or driver that will be used to control the scanner device.

BLB

Thank you! I familiar with the import command in Photoshop.
But installing the twain driver in Windows???? Where is the twain driver or how do I find it?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Use Windows Explorer and select the Windows directory on your C drive. Do a search for files and folders containing the word twain in their names. You should at least find the twain folder. If there is no driver then you may be able to get one at the HP website if you don't have an install disk with your scanner. ou can also check your Control Panel System Hardware Devices to see if your scanner hardware is installed and working.

If it isn't then use the control panel to have Windows install the hardware and driver for you.

BLB

Fred,
I went to my C: drive and found the and then the TWAIN_32 file. Inside that was the following file WIATWAIN.DS. Now what?? Thank you!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In my PhotoShop CS2 Import menu, the available choices are

HP Scanjet 4600 Series Twain
WIA - HP Scanjet 4600 Series
WIA Support

In my Control Panel > System > Hardware Devices > Imaging Devices is the actual hardware listing for HP Scanjet 4600 Series. That listing contains five different drivers that are used to supply the choice of twain or WIA in Photoshop.

If you do not have the original installation disk that came with your OfficeJet, you can use Twain or WIA to drive your OfficeJet. WIA stands for Windows Image Acquisition. What is required is for the Device Manager to recognize your hardware and for correct drivers to be installed. Also, the OfficeJet must be turned on for it to be recognized by both Windows and by Photoshop.

If you do not have the OfficeJet installation disk with the HP supplied software then you can still drive it with either Twain or WIA drivers. Here is a link to the HP website where you can download the correct drivers for your OfficeJet and also look up various help topics in the troubleshooting section on the same page.

I would caution you that the link I supplied is for the HP OfficeJet G85. There is a separate listing for an OfficeJet G85xi which may or may not use the same set of drivers. Here is a link to that page in case that is the model you have.

Good luck.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Since you say you found the twain/WIA file in your twain folder, check to see if therre is an available command in the Import fly out menu in PhotoShop for WIA Support. If so, click it and a wizard is launched that when completed should get PS to see your OfficeJet.

300mphGraphics

It prints fine but now it won't scan ("Could not initialize scanner because the file could not be found").
If it used to scan, as I read what you wrote, simply try restarting the computer with the scanner on. My twain goes off its twacks occasionally too and that is all that is required. Good luck.

BLB

First and foremost thank you!!!
I got up this AM turned it all on and tried to scan. Presto as if nothing was wrong?! Anyway, I am so grateful for the support and what I learned from your responses. 300mph, it looks like the machines just needed a nights sleep. Thanks alot!

BLB

Thank god there's no cliff near by!! Again with the no scanning. I did get it to scan a document in Microsoft office, why???
Thanks!

BLB

Sorry not to respond sooner. I did this yesterday and no luck. Tonight I tried it and all went fine! Thank you!