• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Countertop protector?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I have a self-healing mat on my 4x8 easel, but I imagine that it would be kinda "soft" for squeegeeing.

This has not been my experience, at all. We have a 5' x 10' work table with a 5' x 10' mat on it -- I've never found it to be a problem when squeegeeing anything. Make sure you get one with a grid on it -- you'll find the grid indispensable after a while. Our previous one lasted about 5 years and became bulged and broken where it was used more... we just cut the remaining good part up into smaller (almost like new) pieces and covered other surfaces in the shop...

Also, blades definitely last longer... a nice little bonus.

Colin

Make sure you get one with a grid on it -- you'll find the grid indispensable after a while. Our previous one lasted about 5 years and became bulged and broken where it was used more... we just cut the remaining good part up into smaller (almost like new) pieces and covered other surfaces in the shop.

Yes, like I said, I have one on my 4x8 easel/table and I got the grid with it.

Colin

Attachments

• Heston.jpg
    Heston.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 79

Sign Works

Ooh, thanks for this. Experience! How was the mat superior to glass? How was the glass inferior? I have a self-healing mat on my 4x8 easel, but I imagine that it would be kinda "soft" for squeegeeing.

As isign said IMO the glass is too hard, instantly destroys the fine tip of the exacto blade as where the cutting mat has no ill effect on the blade whatsoever. Also when cutting through banner material, prints or whatever the blade on glass has a tendency to slip & slide a bit in unwanted directions, it's just too smooth and hard. When cutting through material on a cutting mat the blade goes into the mat slightly and does not have any tendance to slip at all. Once again I'll have to agree with isign, not only do I gather materials/tools on my production table I occasionally build & construct signs on it, I'll even jump up there and walk on it to move things around, wouldn't want to do that on glass. Hell I'll even throw an engine up there from time to time, sure wouldn't want to do that on glass.

Colin

As isign said IMO the glass is too hard, instantly destroys the fine tip of the exacto blade as where the cutting mat has no ill effect on the blade whatsoever. Also when cutting through banner material, prints or whatever the blade on glass has a tendency to slip & slide a bit in unwanted directions, it's just too smooth and hard. When cutting through material on a cutting mat the blade goes into the mat slightly and does not have any tendance to slip at all. Once again I'll have to agree with isign, not only do I gather materials/tools on my production table I occasionally build & construct signs on it, I'll even jump up there and walk on it to move things around, wouldn't want to do that on glass. Hell I'll event throw an engine up there from time to time, sure wouldn't want to do that on glass.

Great stuff! Yes, I'm going to buy another mat and use it for this.
Too bad SpeedPress is closed today - I wanna buy somethin'!

Thanks so much.

Wes Phifer

I would not use tempered glass if you were going to try that. If you got a spot hot with a heat gun it might shatter while cooling. When it breaks if goes into a million pieces.

Colin

^^^ Good point for anyone reading this. I've decided to go with the self-healing cutting mat. Thanks.

Colin

Yup. Ordered a 5x8 with grid yesterday morning. They're cutting it in half for two 30" x 96" pieces to cover my 31" x 16' countertop. Should have it by the end of the week.

Colin

I'm about to build new tables and I think I've been talked into using 3/8" ABS plastic for the tops.

Are you going to be cutting on that? If so, you might find that the cut lines/marks/scratches in the surface will cause your blade tip to "follow" in an unwanted path in future cuts.

MikePro

+1 to cutting mats, been using them for 8+years

never noticed my blade traveling across the table (except at the seam between my two mats), nor issues with squeegee'n.