• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Country Music ... a film by Ken Burns

rjssigns

Watched bits and pieces so far. Can't remember the gents name but he said country music back then didn't necessarily have the best singers. People liked it because of it's authenticity. Nothing like today's country music.

Billct2

Yes, watching when I can and recording. It's great, lots of interesting information and background. and of course the music...

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Great stuff! Watched the first four episodes. Burns does a good job of exploring the confluence of folk music and commerce. He spends more time examining the myths than digging through the roots; but for anyone who is interested original, historical recordings are easily available these days.

If authentic, roots music is your interest, I would advise checking out the Round Peak musicians, Piedmont and Delta blues, and more obscure musicians such as Roscoe Holcomb, Tommy Jarrell, the Mississippi Shieks, and Charlie Patten.