• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Couple of questions about my Mimaki JV3 160SP

1. I am getting ready to do some remodeling at my shop and will be building a room for my printer. It will have an exhaust fan and I'll also have a dryer hose running from the machine to help get rid of fumes.

Is there some sort of material like a vapor barrier I can put up in the walls to try and keep the solvent fumes from escaping the room? I've done a lot of searching on this and haven't found anything. Any other tips?

2. When I changed a print head a couple of months ago, I also switched to oversized dampers. As a result, the head height adjustment bar no longer fits on the carriage. I've left the carriage in the "thick" position, and it seems to print very well. I've never tried to lower it because I've been afraid of head strikes.

Without the adjustment bar, is it just a matter of raising the carriage as high as it will go for "thick" and lowering it as far as it can go for the "thin" setting? Is there a danger of getting the heads too low?

artbot

i tossed the height adjustment bar and damper bar and head cover. (also, i'd suggest you switch to the super long mutoh ribbons) way more access to the dampers. it's a bird's nest otherwise.)

theoretically every height has a bi-directional calibration. maybe the test patterns are so varied for either. mimaki just wants a hint of where to start the pattern for adjustment.

also, i might suggest a cheap air scrubber that i use. it's a dust collector (delta. the king that hangs from the ceiling of a wood shop). and i just get activated carbon filters a lowe's. ...fold them. and place them in front of the intake. the vacuum holds them there. does a nice job on the cheap for cleaning the air with things get a bit fume-y.

tbaker

There is actually negligible difference in print quality between thick and think with the jv3 series printers.

The best way to figure out if it's in the correct position tho, is to reinstall the height adjustment lever, then once you are sure it's in the high position that you want, secure it down and that's that, check it from time to time to make sure that the screws are tight.

There IS a bracket available from mimaki to hold your dampersin place, I'd recommend it when you find it. The dampers are larger, the jv3 isn't the most gentle of machines, and those large dampers, wiggling from side to side, through thousands of passes, can crack the manifolds on that DX4 printhead. There is also a modified adjustment lever since mimaki changed dampers in this particular unit to hold the large dampers normally.