• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Couple of ?'s

Ruddbow

I have used Macromedia Freehand, Illustrator and the CS programs. I am wondering if Corel would be a great program to add to my arsenal. What are a few of the benefits over FH and ILLUS that Corel has? Does it allow you to save as a .plt file?

This is a 2 fold question. 1, because I am looking to purchase it for work (normal 8-5 job) to possibly aid in driving a laser cutter but would also like to see how I could benefit my side job of signs (separate copy of course). Eventually I will be purchasing a print/cut plotter.

thanks in advance for your time.

2NinerNiner2

Ruddbow - Yes, Corel X3 allows you to 'Save As' .PLT and would make an excellent addition to your arsenal. I have used all three since their version 1.0s and prefer Corel's node editing to the other two; my personal preference. The other two may have similar functions, but Corel X3's 'Create Boundary' alone is, to me, worth the full purchase price; 'one-click' cutpath outines! :)

Ruddbow

more...

alright.....we have Corel Draw 8 in house. I loaded it on a dinosaur G3 and was trying to locate some information. I am trying to import a .ai file (no problem there) and am looking to change the orientation of where it starts to cut and where it finishes. Not sure exactly if that is possible? I looked at exporting the file and it allowed a HPGL Plotter file....is this the one that will create the .plt file? I apologise if this is novice stuff.....I know zip on Corel...probably why the box has sat in my office for several years.

thanks again.

2NinerNiner2

Sorry...I didn't notice that you were Mac-based. I know that the X3 PC version will 'Save As' an HP-GL plot file directly. Can't for the life of me recall how to change or set the origin; it's been a while :) Not an issue for me now with the VersaCAMM.

Cadmn

never tried .plt does the laser cutter run from an hpgl file which is a driver for most plotters. might contact cutter MFG to ask for driver. .01