• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Craftsman or Ryobi

1leonchen

i am going to ask a out of context question. i need a new miter saw. i have a bosh 12 inch dual miter compound saw which is pretty heavy around 60 pounds also a harbor freight 10 inch dual slider miter saw also they are a pain to travel with so i was wondering if any one has a

Craftsman 15 amp 10'' Compound Miter Saw (M2500RC3)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921236000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

or a Ryobi 10 In. Miter Saw With Laser
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

problem is i don't have a opportunity to look at them physically so if you were to buy which would u choose. laser don't matter to me it don't work in the sun. reason for buying a new saw is weight.

curtrnev

I have a Bosch 10" slider and I wouldn't want to carry it around either. I would think either one would be alright for a portable saw, it's the blade that makes the saw any way so long as the fence is straight. But I would lean towards the Crapsman of the two.

Sign Works

I would also lean towards the Craftsman, some Ryobi tools are constructed very cheaply (not all but some definetly are). Personally I'd step it up a bit and go with DeWalt, you might want to stop by a Home Depot and check them out in person. The DeWalt's have good handles for carrying and they are built well.

skyhigh

+1 Dewalt

I had the Craftsman (one step up). The first time I used the saw, I had the darn thing clamped down to my "Work-Mate" bench. I pulled the handle down to make the very first cut, and without thinking (I do that alot) I simply let go. Well, the saw sprang up so fast that it snapped right out of the clamps, doing a double back flip to the cement below & smashing the handle into 5 pieces.

Sure did make a nice cut though........:rolleyes:

:banghead::frustrated::doh::omg::covereyes:

Malkin

I would also lean towards the Craftsman, some Ryobi tools are constructed very cheaply (not all but some definetly are). Personally I'd step it up a bit and go with DeWalt, you might want to stop by a Home Depot and check them out in person. The DeWalt's have good handles for carrying and they are built well.

Even some of the DeWalt (and other) tools sold through Home Depot are cheaper made versions of tools sold through other avenues.

Pat Whatley

I have the Ryobi saw. Let me tell you, I have abuse the snot out of that thing. It's been dropped (and dropped, and dropped), left out in the rain a couple of times, and NEVER been oiled. It still works like it was brand new.

My only compaint is that the 45 degree lockdown is a about half a degree off. Not a big deal once I figured it out, and it may not be true on all of them, but I figured I'd mention it. It wouldn't matter for house framing but for the furniture I was building at the time I had to adjust for it.

Yes, if it dies it will get replaced with the same one.

ProWraps

ryobi is the junk of the tool world. but, after you drop it, you can buy three more for the price of the real thing.

its one step above harbor freight. i have many ryobi tools. including a new miter saw. the laser couldnt be more off. but it was cheap! so thats why we cut vinyl cores with it to ship banners. works great!

jmcnicoll

I have a Ryobi cordless home tool set and have to say they're a great buy! I know they're not as nice as the top of the line stuff, but great bang for the buck!!!!!!

jim

RiXaX

All of the Ryobi cordess tools that I've purchased have out performed my Makita and DeWalt. As far as the mitre boxes, my best choice is Hitachi.
I don't have the 10" any more, but it sure was good. We have the 12"

1leonchen

thanks for all the opinions i humbly appreciate all the input. i going with the craftsman 10 inch saw. i already have a stand for my Bosch saw i personally hate Dewalt. will never buy one again i had a impact driver and i ruined it in three months. i had a Dewalt 10 inch chop saw and i died.replacement price for a new Dewalt is over 200 dollars. to me a Bosch tool is like a Mercedes Benz they are German made. i was always a craftsman fan but i see they have stared to degrade quality of tools due to competition. and finally i tried a brand new Hitachi to try out and i broke the back stops easily it was all white metal and i tried to cut a 4 by 4 box tube and it kicked back. final conclusion i going craftsman for price and their so called reputitation the thing that pat said about the angle will drive me nuts. i love a nice 45

I have to agree with going with Dewalt. Super quality and you will never have the need to buy another one. I would also say take a look at the 12" instead of the 10". Kind of like buying a printer, go with the bigger one if you can afford it.

dfeicke

I've never had bad luck with DeWalt tools; used them for years. The only weak part on them is the cords. They don't last long. But I've got an old 9.6 volt cordless drill that has been dropped, slammed, submerged, oil-soaked, used for a hammer.....and still works fine.

Don't like Ryobi tools. or Black & Decker. They are OK for home hobby work, but for any real precision or commercial use, step up.

I've been buying Bosch for awhile, and Milwaukee. They are both good in quality and performance. Porter-Cable is also good.

Craftsman tools are 'iffy'. Some are good; some aren't. I've got a Craftsman compound miter saw, and it's hard to adjust, and the fence is awkward to deal with. It's worked OK, though, and does the job.

OldPaint

i hope all those who buy CRAFTSMAN tools or dis's em need to understand this one thing:
there is no such MANAFACTURE called CRAFTSMAN!!!!!!!!!!
like i said in an earlier post...........SEARS CORDLESS, most are made by RYOBI. they also have a 12V litium line...........which looks and feels very much like a MAKITA!!!!!!
at any given year, you never know who is making CRAFTSMAN tools for them. at one time, ECHO made their chain saws, then another time they was made by POULAN!!!!!
all CRAFTSMAN HAND TOOLS at one time, was made by NEW BRITIAN!!!! same company made tools for NAPA. STANLEY, which is a NEW BRITIAN also, makes some of the best hand tools you can buy. i got an older sears radial arm saw, says sears on it. most of these was manafactured by EMERSON. as this web site will show you. there was a recall on the table top and the blade guard, which they replaced free of charge.
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/
so anything you buy with a CRAFTSMAN NAME ON IT.............is usually made by some other tool manafacture...............and LABLED AS CRAFTSMAN.