• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Craziness with installer prices in Seattle?

thesignexpert

Looking for an installer in Seattle to do about 60 sq. ft. in 3M ControlTac 180cv3 with 3M 8519 Luster laminate. Flat truck, minor rivets and trim and no removals. Pretty easy stuff really. I found a local shop but they are telling me that they want $10 sq. ft. just to install my provided graphics at their shop. Holy crap!?

I am all about each shop establishing their own pricing based on their own overhead and market conditions but doesn't this seem incredibly high? More than three times the rates in the Midwest.

Anybody from the area who can shed some light on this? Is the cost of doing business in Seattle that nuts?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Did you say incredibly "high"?
They may have to pad their hourly rates to cover the slower work pace.....

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• too-high.jpg
    too-high.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 84

SignosaurusRex

Location, Location, Location...
Cost of living and running a business out here is insane.

I might be interested in what you have to be done.

JMPrinting

Wow, wonder what they charged if they printed and installed it? That's crazy...I'm not sure the cost of living, I would go $2-3 per square foot if it's pretty straight forward and easy

threeputt

Cost of living in Seattle is much higher than in my little burg, 180 miles south. My two sons live there. Actually one in Bellevue. When he told me two years ago what he paid for for his three story condo, I about fainted. But he said, "don't worry about it pops, this is Bellevue" that amount is like "play money" (Monopoly) Yes, they really knock down that kind of money!

That could account for the price, or the guy simply doesn't need the work, and will take it if the price is high enough.

fozzie

Since the folks in seattle want to pay $15 an hour for the minimum wage teenager to flip their burger, only seems fair that a skilled installer would make a "livings wage". Welcome to insanityville.

thesignexpert

Just a update. I was able to find three other established shops that all were reasonably in line with pricing. A bit higher than the midwest but completely within justification. It turns out that the original guys were booked and, instead of just being honest with me, decided to "discourage" the project. Frustrating but, hey, we move on.

Christian @ 2CT Media

If you ever need a Installer, I've got a couple that Travel for me with all of my fair clients across the country. PM if you ever need their contact info, they are super competitive on pricing and only charge cost on travel expenses or allow you to book for them.

Craig Sjoquist

I do not know what wrap install prices are here, but with all the garbage produced I see on wraps must be way cheap in Orlando.

Was thinking about $5 per sq was about normal around country for install, sound about right ?

thesignexpert

here in san diego i think the going rate is 12-15 including material

Yes, that's about the range for retail for shops using good films and laminates. I've seen it cheaper but almost invariably with shops who are going the cheap route with crappy results. I don't let those guys worry me for one second as I would much rather work with clients who value good quality work.