• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crazy fading

Flame

This is crazy. I have to restripe a Shelby GT Hertz edition...and you can see the new stripes I'm laying on the front (Oracal 751), and what the Oracal looks like after 5 years on the rest of the car. Talk about fading!!! Wish I knew what grade of vinyl Shelby used, but I'm betting it wasn't 751. I am 100% sure it's Oracal gold they used, just don't know the grade...

Attachments

• stripes.jpg
    stripes.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 125

Mikeifg

I do paint stripe kits for their new gt350's in vagas and they sent me a decal kit they were using before deciding to paint them on and it was Oracal 651!!!. It looks like a cheap gold on the car. Hel lmaybe it's SHINERITE ha ha.. Thats what the cheapo shops around here would do.

Flame

the life on 751 metallic is 5 years.

Which means in my book that at 4 years 11 months it should still be about the same color as it was originally (close enough anyways). Not like....this.

Attachments

• crackly boooo.jpg
    crackly boooo.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 83

Mikeifg

do you think they used some kind of wax or cleaner on the car that did this( over Time). It kinda seems like maybe a chemical along with the sun did this.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Metallic vinyl - black car - horizontal surface - 5 years later - seems about right.
Similar set up here would be too hot to touch around lunch time just about every day.

wayne k
guam usa

Flame

Yeah I am not posting this here to diss on Oracal. Just sharing an interesting project I'm working on. One of the worst crack/fade jobs I've seen (here in the NW we don't get the sun like some of you southern guys do).

TopFliteGraphics

I do a lot of car stripes and I make sure my customers know that vinyl that is rated for 6-7 years will not last that long on a horizontal surface, period. I tell them all that the most they can expect is 4-5 years. If the car is driven daily and kept outside (here in the south Florida sun especially) it may even be less.

BTW - how did you remove the old stripes? I hate doing that with a passion

Flame

I do a lot of car stripes and I make sure my customers know that vinyl that is rated for 6-7 years will not last that long on a horizontal surface, period. I tell them all that the most they can expect is 4-5 years. If the car is driven daily and kept outside (here in the south Florida sun especially) it may even be less.

BTW - how did you remove the old stripes? I hate doing that with a passion

After a few hours. I gave up. Tried every trick I have in my sleeve...would've taken 2 days to remove and at my shop rate would've been a huge bill. Customer is removing with a razor blade.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That's rough,
I talked a guy out of doing something similar on a new Charger.
He wanted dark metallic charcoal.
Told him if I did it he would need to remove it in a year or 2 or risk ruining the paint.
I was not sad that he didn't come back.

wayne k
guam usa