• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crazy stuff on a mutoh 1614, black haze everywhere!

bendeane

Anybody ever seen this? Tried many different files, two different media types and several profiles.

I've done about 8 strong cleaning cycles. I assume a head soak is in order (or other suggestions?)

Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 102
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 93
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 100

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Don't think I have seen something like that posted before.
I'ts hard to see but it looks like the bars are not missing just covered with over spray.
Is the nozzle check ok on all the channels other than the black spray?
It looks kind of too evenly spread out to be blocked nozzles.
With the 1614 can you move the head into a position to see the nozzle plate.
(with my 1304 I can slide the head all the way to the left and with the cover removed get a good look at it.)
How much use do you have on the head?
I'm just guessing but it looks more like an electrical problem with the head over cleaning.
I just went through a few weeks with mine that showed me how much I don't know about these units - mine turned out to be the encoder fence. Even with a good cleaning I would get fuzzy black and then a head stopping error.
Maybe a head soak but if no one pipes in on seeing it before I'd open everything up and look for ink on any of the data cables and clean and re-seat the connections between the CR and the mainboard.

wayne k
guam usa

bendeane

Thanks for the input...I did a few more strong cleanings, cleaned the wiper really well, and then did a little charge. Now things seem to be okay, but I probably need to check some things out. The head is old (2+ years), but we haven't had a lot of volume through it for the first 20 months of the life of the head. We are starting to grow quite quickly as a company and volume has spiked, but by no means are we running full bore with this thing all the time.

I'll post more if it goes back to doing that.

jhanson

Second on the head cables. If you have any kind of bad connection, it can cause all sorts of mischief with prints.

Tip: Discharge all power to the machine before attempting anything with the head cables. By that, I mean turn the machine off, unplug it, and then press the power button in and out (so that the light blinks and goes out) to make sure there's no residual power left anywhere in the machine).

If you don't do that, chances are it will spark when you disconnect the cables, and you'll be out of a $2000+ head.

Wrapdup

Did you find your cause of the haze problem? My 1614 is having a similar issue and wonderimg how your problem came out?