• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating a 3D object. Help Please!

archerdesign

Hi. Here is a logo I've used for client. He'd now like to make a 3D version of it. I was thinking out of styrofoam, or clay? Or.........???? Anyone know of anyone who does this kind of work? Thanks in advance!

Dave
Sechelt, BC

Attachments

• bluefrogsprayfoamgoodlogo.jpg
    bluefrogsprayfoamgoodlogo.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 99

archerdesign

Hi Joe. I'm thinking actual 3D. So the world would be a "ball" and the frog would be, well, a frog! Haha. Im thinking the world to be about the size of a basketball. Any ideas?

mrchips

Get a rubber ball from a toy department.....cut in half and fill the back with cheap insulation foam......sand flush and paint? That's one idea.......HDU turned on a lathe.....that's 2. :)

4R Graphics

If you want it to be a raised style carving that is say 2" high and flat on the back then anyone with a CNC Router and 2.5 D software can do it.
If you want a true 3d statue type carving then you will need a full 360 degree model of the logo and then anyone with a cnc router and the right software (most pros have the software) can slice the model up and carve it in sections/layers which are then glued together and finished (clean up edges and paint) some may have a rotoary axis that could do it from a solid block but that type of machine is limited to expensive systems especially something the size of a baskestball or bigger.

Most anyone who has a cnc router and the right 3d CAD/CAM software can make it in layers (which is the most common way).

The modeling is the hardest part.
I would check the local college for someone that could model it for you at a reasonable price or class project and then find someone to do the cnc work.

I have owned a cnc router and have done several projects like you are talking about in the past.
I donot have a cnc router at the moment but will by the end of the year (maybe summer time) and will be offering my services to the forum as a merchant member once again.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

Z SIGNS

Anyone with a CNC router and 2.5D software could make that for you very easy.
This is interesting.
I've always been curious as to how you do an actual 3d model on a 3 axis router.
I've had a router for years now and have been happy cutting flat shapes like channel
letter backs, interesting sign blanks and what not.
I would like to take it to the next level.
I've created some simple models with rhino and was able to slice them up but but that's as far as I got.
Will you please share the easy way to turn a graphic like that into a real 3d model ?

4R Graphics

Z Signs asked me to post up in the open forum how i would create a true 3D model on a 3 axis CNC router.

First off I have a program called Aspire made by Vectric (very affordable considering what it can do) in Aspire I can actually bring in 3D models and do a 4 sided routing job that's the easy way.

For those who do not have software that will allow you to do this here is how i have done it in the past before owning Aspire.

First you need a true 3D model of whatever it is you are going to carve (remeber that under cuts are not impossible but are VERY VERY difficult to do I recommend staying away from them as much as possible).

Ok once you have your model you will need to first slice it in half so you have a front and a back or top and bottom (the direction will be dictated based on what it is you are trying to carve again trying to stay away from undercuts). you could slice it into quarters also for under cut stuff.

Ok once you have it sliced in half or quarters you will then take 1 half or quarter and slice it into several layers think of it like pancakes the higher you stake them the more of a 3D object you get.

When you slice the halves or quarters into layers you need to decide how thick of a material you are going to use ( there are several things to consider here such as how detailed is the model, how deep are the cuts, how long of a cutter will you need to reach everything etc..) a little trial and error and you will figure out what you, your cutters and your machines capabilities are.

once you have all the sides sliced up into layers you will need to save each one of those layers as a separate object and then you bring them into the software that you use to create the tool paths one at a time and create tool paths the same way you would create a tool path for a raised or relief type carving.

once all the separate objects are carved its a matter of gluing them together in the right order to create the 3D model (like pancakes one then 2 then 3 etc..)

once you have them all glued together you will need to do a little hand clean up (sand edges maybe a little foam or clay here and there etc.. until it looks good).

Then add paint.

I attached a video of Cut3D by vectric its a software program that is available by itself and included in Aspire (this is the program i use for this kind of stuff). It shows what i am talking about in the software the model is sliced up based on your parameters but you can do it yourself in any 3D modeling program just more time consuming.

[video=youtube;3ccL_rYWVCc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ccL_rYWVCc[/video]

4R Graphics

Lovin the new video option.
I am sure those that are interested in this kind of stuff seeing it on video makes it a little easier to grasp the idea.

The model in the video the only thing that you may have problems with by doing it as a 2 sided carving is the backside of the elbows and the detail of the ears as these have undercuts based on the way the model is laid out.

This is where you would have to go in and do a little finishing work by hand ( there are other ways to do it with the software in the video so the machine does all the detail work and almost no hand work needed) but all things considered the bulk of the project is done by the machine (and doing it this way can be done with almost any 3D modeling program).

sardocs

Dave - I sent you a pm - If you need help with this give me a call. My phone number is in the pm. You really don't need a CNC to do this job. I'm pretty sure I've got enough HDU scraps you can use to put this together. I'm just up the road from you in Pender Harbour.