Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating a vector contour for a photo

Discussion in 'Videos' started by The Vector Doctor, Feb 5, 2015.

1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    I apologize for the large size. I tried to reduce the file size but not so much that the screen is unreadable

This video is in response to the occasional request for how to create a contour path on a photo to remove a background or for cutting around

I welcome any comments or questions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksnzpbtot9yner5/cut contour vector.mov?dl=0

2. SignStudent

SignStudent Member

Jun 12, 2010
    TN
    Impressively fast.

3. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    wow, I'm very impressed. I wish I could work as fast.

4. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    A tablet allows for this type of speed. Constantly clicking and dragging with a mouse makes a job like this take longer. I believe I am 25-30% faster using a tablet vs a mouse

5. nikdoobs

nikdoobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2013
    lafayette, la
    What kind of tablet do you use?

6. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    An older Wacom Intuos 3. Love it.

My ideal situation would be a Cintiq 22 or 24 but those are a bit pricey and I really need to try one out before committing that much money to see if it would help further. At the very least, if this tablet fails me someday or I want to upgrade I would go for the newer Pro models with touch

7. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Having worked with both the Intuos 3 (and Intuos 4, but I use the 3 much more as I have more pens to go with it compared to the 4) and both the Cintiq 21UX and the Cintiq Companion, the Cintiqs are far more efficient and much much more natural.

8. kheebl

kheebl Member

Mar 7, 2014
    MPLS, MN
    wow that was fast. makes me want to look into buying one of those tablets.

9. ktyler1320

ktyler1320 New Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Kinder, LA
    Is there still somewhere I can see this? I clicked the link but it doesn't work any longer. Thanks

10. ktyler1320

ktyler1320 New Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Kinder, LA
  11. klmiller611

klmiller611 Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Nicely done, I think I could come close to that speed with a tablet. The mouse is slow, as the old phase goes sort of like drawing with a brick.

Best
    Ken

12. scott pagan

scott pagan Member

Feb 4, 2004
    charlotte nc
    great tutorial.

i think understanding the pen tool is one of the best lessons to learn in illustrator.

another tip i would share is do an offset path of .25" to .5" and use that as a bleed mask to print less ink (waste) outside of cut areas for cut to bleed items. conversely, you can offset the path and use the "cut path" you created as a mask for the photo, and the new offset path as your white border cut path, leaving you with a nice even border depending on the type of finish cut for the job.