• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating beveled effect on letters (the vector way...)

Patentagosse

I've seen somewhere on Signlab's promotional videos that they have a «plug-in» or something embedded in the software to convert the raster bevel into vector (editable).

Can you confirm this? If so, will it turn into something like this?

Attachments

• HD 1977_Sticker (Large).jpg
    HD 1977_Sticker (Large).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 133
  • HD 1977_Bevel (Large).jpg
    HD 1977_Bevel (Large).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 140

Mosh

That would be simply to do in SignLab...BTW you are going to get in BIG trouble if that logo is what you plan on creating!!!!

Patentagosse

I'm asked by the local HD dealership to recreate this logo for an old "limited edition" bike they are actually repainting. Decals no longer available to they ask me to do it. Beyong that, I don't feel I'm in trouble. I'll let 'em handle the copyright issue... :covereyes:

p3

This is really really easy. This I can make you a quick video tonight showing you how to do this in illustrator with 0 photoshop. There are a couple ways, so I'll show you how I would achieve the effect.

TXFB.INS

This is really really easy. This I can make you a quick video tonight showing you how to do this in illustrator with 0 Photoshop. There are a couple ways, so I'll show you how I would achieve the effect.

If Photoshop is not required, can it also be done in Corel also?

p3

Corel is probably easier than illustrator. I haven't used Corel in ages, but I could install it and try to do a video on that as well.

Patentagosse

This is really really easy. This I can make you a quick video tonight showing you how to do this in illustrator with 0 photoshop. There are a couple ways, so I'll show you how I would achieve the effect.

'Can't wait to see that p3...

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
With what you have posted, I would probably just pen tool it out. takes like next to no time especially in corel draw. The entire thing could be done in about 20 minutes with about 10 minutes of fine tweaking. My mini tutorial was really for when you have odd stuff and only have about 3 minutes to highlight it.

Patentagosse

The logo is there (look-a-like...) but w/o the bevel. I had to tweak every corner of every letters in order to get the outlines like the original. P.I.T.A. to say so...:banghead:

p3

Just a few hours. You won't have to pen tool anything, and it literally takes maybe 30 seconds. :)

p3

Well I lied about "tonight" and I lied about "30 seconds." I tried doing the video and got caught up doing some other stuff design wise along with some promotional stuff at work. Anyway, I created the video, I did leave out a part of live tracing the bevel effect in corel draw. You can rock the bevel that is created, however it gets noisy/grainy a little bit when you start scaling. I think when I used to do a lot of stuff with bevels, I mainly used corel draw. I thought I used illustrator, but previous posts of having to pen tool it are correct. So, the way I showed in this video is very similar to the people who made the bevel in photoshop and then popped it into illustrator. I am doing another video right now though on another type of text effect, so you can check that out on my youtube channel in a bit (www.youtube.com/thedesignchimp) - usually takes a couple hours to do a video after rendering and all that, and I'll post it on my website most likely on monday.

[video=youtube;hbLnlOf8hws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLnlOf8hws[/video]

Sorry I got all your hopes up and couldn't deliver fully, nor on time. That's bad business on my part, and for that I apologize. Sometimes saying you can do something that you necessarily may not be able to, always pushes you to learn, and try and find a way so you don't look like a fool... I failed this time...this time.

Last edited by a moderator: