• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating color samples around a pantone

mikeinpdx

I'd like to create a range of samples around a pantone to find the best match, maybe 50 samples from -10% for R, G, B up to +10% RGB. Basically printing a matrix of color samples that step through the combinations and picking the closest one.

Is there a good way to do this in Illustrator other than color blend? It seems like it would be a handy Illustrator script to have.

Andriy

Using RGB and then having RIP switch it to CMYK will make your color matching that much harder, you get a little more control with CMYK right away.
As to matching, I do something like this... Not the fastest but definitely a good way to get in the vicinity of the chip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoafhjNwTho

Asuma01

I hate to be that guy. But designing in CMYK limits your color gamut. Your rip is supposed to do the conversions. Even when you send the RIP a CMYK file it still rips it and converts it.

What RIP are you running? In ProductionHouse you can use the swatch books tool. And it will do exactly what you are describing automatically.

I hate to be that guy. But designing in CMYK limits your color gamut. Your rip is supposed to do the conversions. Even when you send it a CMYK file it still rips it and converts it.

Limiting your color gamut is not a bad idea. Especially to match the abilities of your printer. I could design you a kick *** logo with all sorts of colors but if I can't print those colors your not going to be happy in the end.

Andriy

I hate to be that guy. But designing in CMYK limits your color gamut. Your rip is supposed to do the conversions. Even when you send it a CMYK file it still rips it and converts it.

You're right about it being wider, it's just I find it easier to add 5% of yellow or magenta over letting the computer decide what the percentages will be. I guess I like to have more control over my inks, also easier to give the paint shop CMYK values to mix from, they usually get it close to my prints on first try :)

SignProPlus-Chip

But if you turn off color correction, your printer will print the exact CMYK values you feed it, regardless of it being RIPped.

As aforementioned, working with in the gamut of your printers capabilities is far from a bad thing, to reiterate, why design something you cannot match in print?

Leaving your color correction on all the time is just like leaving your camera set to automatic all the time. Sure, it gets the job done, but learning how to effectively manipulate your equipment can yield you better results.

Asuma01

Limiting your color gamut is not a bad idea. Especially to match the abilities of your printer. I could design you a kick *** logo with all sorts of colors but if I can't print those colors your not going to be happy in the end.

A good point.
I use the color gamut option in Corel to let me know when I'm using out of gamut colors. Its not hard to tell when a color is out of gamut just by looking at it.

Asuma01

I'm not going to argue with anyone who has a system that works for them. But from what I have read in every Industry mag and book I have ever read has always said to design in rgb. The loss of color gamut is to large otherwise.

Attachments

• 2015-03-27_135220.jpg
    2015-03-27_135220.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 77

Andriy

I'm not going to argue with anyone who has a system that works for them. But from what I have read in every Industry mag and book I have ever read has always said to design in rgb. The loss of color gamut is to large otherwise.

Design to look pretty on screen without the intention of printing anything out is definitely better in RGB however if you plan to print it, CMYK tends to give a closer result.

milchad

Caldera has an option called Color Books. It prints an array of colors and gives you the CMYK values to plug in. You will need to make the color a spot color (name it something unique) and then plug in the values you choose to use off of your printed sample.