Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating glass etch look

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Chris Lewis, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Chris Lewis

Chris Lewis New Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Slate Hill NY
    client is looking for an intricate design to go on office conference room interior glass walls. I would like to print on 3M 8150. What color do I print to make it look like glass etch? It seams to me the right light gray might work. Has anyone else tried to do This? The design is too intricate too cut out of etch look vinyl

2. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    It's going to take some experimentation to see what works without getting too opaque. I would just start with a series of printed boxes a couple inches square in increasing levels of CMYK values until you get it the way you want it. Cut them out and throw them up on your office window and see what works.

I don't know maybe start with C:5 / M:5 / Y:5 / K:5

3. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    We sell out frosted idot to a gigantic movie production company that only uses it for that purpose. Want me to send you a piece to see how it would look?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Lewis

Chris Lewis New Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Slate Hill NY
    Thank You Tim that is what we are doing. Getting some nice results I think this is going to work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris Lewis

Chris Lewis New Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Slate Hill NY
    Thanks for the offer Bigfish; we have the design down. My concern was more trying to get it to match the trendfilm etch look we have used elsewhere for the same client.

• Like Like x 1
  6. burgmurk

burgmurk Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I can't imagine this working without white ink. I can't actually imagine it 'working' even with white ink, but you'll possibly get close enough to what you're after...