• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Credit to a company I do not know

SfSD

I am hoping you can help me. I sometimes get calls from other sign companies and this company called

SMS Operations
(425) 776-8448 x 1006
P O Box 2070
Lynwood WA 98036

There is a Sprint sign they want fixed, it is about $2000. Everything looked good until I told them I wanted 50% as a deposit. They froze and I figured that was the end. 2 weeks later they call back and are pushing – same thing “we pay after the service is done in 30 days” and I am responding with 50% deposit “I don’t know you and you have no payment history with me”.

If I knew I would get paid – I would do it. Do your have any experience with them??

I would like your opinion – what would you do?

Thanks

player

Read the reviews on their Yelp.

There are 3 visible, 4 hidden.

Here's one I thought was meaningful: "They hired us for HVAC work & their account is past due with invoices over 90 days. We haven't been able to even get a response as to when they expect to pay the outstanding invoices. We will be liening property next week. My advise is stay away from a company like this that isn't financially strong enough to at least pay their sub contractors."

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They will eventually find someone hard up enough to do it and finance tbem, don't let it be you.

You have policies in place for a reason. Either you follow your own rules or drop your own rules and go by theirs. So, what sounds better and more financially stable....... theirs by using you and your money..... or your rules to get paid and keep cash flow healthy ??

Has nothing to do with anyone knowing them. It's your decision and I think you already know the outcome.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
They will eventually find someone hard up enough to do it and finance tbem, don't let it be you.

You have policies in place for a reason. Either you follow your own rules or drop your own rules and go by theirs. So, what sounds better and more financially stable....... theirs by using you and your money..... or your rules to get paid and keep cash flow healthy ??

Has nothing to do with anyone knowing them. It's your decision and I think you already know the outcome.

This!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Did YOUR suppliers give you credit on your first order, sight-unseen? Why not?
Why should you, as a supplier to this company?

Typestries

Don't ever do national surveys, service or install work without money up front. That is all. Period. Trust me and the others.

Z SIGNS

We handle it this way

You want us to install your sign that you will send us?
Be happy to. Send the check along with sign and we will get it done.Tape the check to the sign face for safe keeping.

You want us to service a sign for you?
Be happy to do that.Give us a credit card # that we can charge when the service is complete.

You want us to do a survey?
Be happy to do that.We will send the survey as a password protected PDF and an electronic bill.When the bill is paid we give you the password.

Needless to say most of the big nationals don't agree to my terms and we don't get the work.
The project managers just keep fishing un till they find some new kid on the block who just bought a bucket truck
and is willing to finance the project for them.

We will do work for the big guys but.
We will not finance the project and sit back and wait for the money.
It is done on our terms no exceptions

TXFB.INS

your service/products, your terms and conditions.

they are more then welcome to go elsewhere for the services

after looking at their yelp page, why are they doing commercial signs? it appears they are residential remodeling/yawn service company

SfSD

shoresigns

Any customer who makes a fuss about the 50% deposit is a HUGE red flag. One thing we do is tell them they can have 30 day terms after their first 3 orders are paid on time.

Only make exceptions for government and large corporations that you know you can trust (although you might have to wait 30, 60 or 90 days).

Kottwitz-Graphics

I have been on both sides of this coin. I have worked for the small shops doing the work, and I worked at a large company requesting the surverys. I absolutely hated that job. I had to find the cheapest company and hold them over a barrel. I was once told that one of the companies had lapsed insurance info, so after they did the work, I was told to wrap everything back up and ship it back to then with a big "incomplete" stamped in red on the front page and let them figure it out. My thought was give the company a call and request an updated insurance form. I was immediately told not to, because that way we had the money in our account, and we were making money on the interest. I did call the company (from my own phone on my own time) and told them what was up and to get that paperwork to me.

Long story short...cash up front!

If you are going to do the work, and not going to get paid, you might as well go fishing.

mosignman

We've been working with national companies (almost every major manufacturer) for over 25 years for both service and installation. Very, very few will do a 50/50 payment unless there will be big money in concrete foundations and big crane rentals (for Hi-rise signs). Most have made their terms 30-45 days after receiving all completed documents. They definitely use you as a bank but if your company is stable enough and you have the manpower, it is a decent source of income. Several of the companies will take advantage if you make your invoice net 10 with a 2-3% discount. Just factor that in during your bid :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've worked on & off for many years as third party installers, fabricators, surveys and other crap. If they don't want to hire us and play by our rules, we're busy enough we don't need them, especially being their bank. Our being stable has nothing to do with their being stable or not. We, you or anybody has no insurance that they will pay, that far out.

The ones we deal with, except for one, as we've been partnering for nearly 20 years, pay 50% to all.... in advance with us. Once they've proven themselves, we will extend some terms, but that takes time. We even have a company from Canada that uses us for our area and they pay on our terms. Our prices are far from the cheapest, but they can count on us. We have service and quick turnaround. Terms are always negotiable, so make them in your favor, or walk away, unless you're hungry and willing to gamble.

:thumb:

Pippin Decals

Funny story

I have a buddy that had this happen to him once and he wasnt sure if he would get paid or not ,So what he did was wrote up a contract that stated he had to be paid within so many days after the job was finished, and if he didnt then he would repo the vinyl, take them to court and then add a extra charge for vinyl removal as well. . It worked for him and he got paid in full very quickly lol. I thought it was funny ,but for me i would get a deposit for sure...