• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Critical printshop warehouse lease terms?

Dukenukem117

We are about to rent our first warehouse and are reviewing the lease. Are there printshop-specific things I should look out for?

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Zoning , truck traffic regulations, building repairs on owner or you ? Heater , electrical
Storage of flammable items , fire suppression system . And the good old what’s it going to cost to insure

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Fire code was a biggie for us. We had to have the landlord dig up receipts from the late 1990s to prove to the fire department that the sheet rock interior walls put up when they subdivided the space were up to current code.

Last edited:

rjssigns

As others have said make sure fire codes are met allowing you to leave vehicles in the space overnight or for days. Some years back I found the perfect spot until they said vehicles would have to pushed out of the building every night.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ingress, egress and regress for you and your employees and customers. Snow removal, grass and property upkeep. Since you said it's a print shop, what kinda environment do you have presently as far as being air quality controlled ?? Is there any kind of filtration system set up for your printers ?? Are you allowed to make improvements inside or outside without the landlord's say so ?? Is it lighted good enough ?? Enough exits ?? Is it ADA compilable ?? Condition of the roof ?? Gas or oil heat ?? Costs on utilities ?? Is proper internet services available ?? There's a bunch more, but those are some of the basics.

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
All the above, but make sure you also have enough power! 3phase power is ideal, but make sure it has more power than you need so you can grow into it.

Joe House

Regarding the lighting, I had a customer recently move his shop and the local power company provided all new LED lighting for his shop. My customer only had to pay for the installation of the fixutures. It has great light and low power consumption for the lighting. Check into that while your looking into your new space.

Good Luck

Dukenukem117

Thanks. I've been moving in for the last 3 weeks. Hoping that with 1-2 more and I can get basics up and running. Will probably be a full month before everything is finally settled. Good thing too cause my stupid HOA wants to do garage inspections so I need to get equipment out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why would their inspection be a problem ??

On another note, did the new place meet all your demends and needs or did you do it because you felt pressure ??

Dukenukem117

Why would their inspection be a problem ??

On another note, did the new place meet all your demends and needs or did you do it because you felt pressure ??

I have a lot of equipment and inventory still in there as I was working from home. They want to make sure all garages have room for cars, even though its now pointless as the complex switched to no public parking and every space requires a permit. I park a block down the street and have been for the last 2 years. So for every past inspection, I would move everything into the patio and then move it right back once the inspection is over. Its pure kabuki theater.

The space appears to have all the important things I was looking for. I could not think of how to partition this relatively small square footage any better. But there was certainly pressure as working from home was becoming untenable.

Only thing that kind of sucks is the commute. It's 20-25 minutes with no traffic, but about 40 during rush hour. Its not an issue in the beginning as I'm basically working graveyard hours, but eventually we'll need to train a day shift and I don't know how many people would want a 10am-7pm day.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I have a lot of equipment and inventory still in there as I was working from home. They want to make sure all garages have room for cars, even though its now pointless as the complex switched to no public parking and every space requires a permit. I park a block down the street and have been for the last 2 years. So for every past inspection, I would move everything into the patio and then move it right back once the inspection is over. Its pure kabuki theater.

The space appears to have all the important things I was looking for. I could not think of how to partition this relatively small square footage any better. But there was certainly pressure as working from home was becoming untenable.

Only thing that kind of sucks is the commute. It's 20-25 minutes with no traffic, but about 40 during rush hour. Its not an issue in the beginning as I'm basically working graveyard hours, but eventually we'll need to train a day shift and I don't know how many people would want a 10am-7pm day.
How is it that they can violate your privacy? Do you own or rent?

California is a different kind of duck these days... I don't know how you guys can tolerate it.

Dukenukem117

How is it that they can violate your privacy? Do you own or rent?

California is a different kind of duck these days... I don't know how you guys can tolerate it.

They say its 'optional' because you only need to go through with it if you want the parking permit for the open air parking. Every unit has a garage and 1 parking permit allocated to it in the compound. I rent but it doesn't matter in this case.

I have a theory that after we won the Revolutionary War, all the loyalists who still wish to live under a king got together and formed the first HOA. A HOA in CA is a fiefdom inside a fiefdom. I don't even need the insane housing prices to convince me to never buy here.