• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Criticism of any kind welcomed

mountaingraphic

So,
This is my first design post although I guess its not really a design as much as basic font manipulation and a vector thrown in there.

I have a lot of ideas, however they get lost in translation somewhere between my head, hand and computer.

Would love to know what you think about each aspect of the overall thing. i.e kerning, layout size relative toward each other and that sort of thing.

I am really trying to learn as much as possible about layout but you all make it look too easy!

Attachments

• Cats Barber Shop.jpg
    Cats Barber Shop.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 133

mountaingraphic

Sorry I forgot to mention the substrate. Had thoughts of an overlaid plywood painted however I do not have the order just trying to be proactive in sales.

OldPaint

cant find a better font??? what does that say in script on the B? i gather the sign is going a be a long thin one? take off the barber pole, put a bigger one on a separate panel......that font is so over used...... you printing or cutting this?

SignManiac

Get Cats off of the B for starters. I don't think you really need the road name on the sign. If a person is in front of the sign and can read it, they should probably know what the name of the road is there on? I think the Barber pole should be left of Barber Shop also.

mountaingraphic

Thanks, the back story to this is I originally had a similar design already completed however due to a hard drive failure I had to start from scratch. Also this is my ill attempt to learn illustrator vs draw.

The customer did have the requirements of the road name, not sure exactly why as I thought the same thing. If your reading the sign you should have a basic understanding of where you are.

iSign

agree.. Cat's isn't working, maybe real small on top, centered between the ascender of the second "b" and the "S"

on the pole, I like OP's suggestion. Here's my take...

Attachments

• barber.jpg
    barber.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 105

iSign

make a nice sign.. then hang a stupid road sign on chains...

then when the mailman learns his route, they can take it down

SignManiac

Upsell... Give them your cheap price, a custom price and a deluxe price.

Show it to her without the address so she can see how much cleaner it looks and mention Doug's idea about putting the number somewhere else on the building.

Attachments

• Cats Barber.jpg
    Cats Barber.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Cats Barber2.jpg
    Cats Barber2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

mountaingraphic

The ironic thing is that everyone knows everyone here. Very small town. Not sure if it is a requirement of the state certification but I think I will try to talk her out of it either way.

SignManiac

The customer did have the requirements of the road name, not sure exactly why as I thought the same thing. If your reading the sign you should have a basic understanding of where you are.

Did you attempt to enlighten the customer and explain to him why it isn't necessary? Tell him the sign will be cheaper if you don't have to waste the space on the extra lettering. That might persuade him to see reason.

mountaingraphic

That is beautiful. Thank you all so much for the information and inspiration. Hopefully one of these days this stuff will click together. I would love to move past the basic stuff however I do not have a printer, have had zero luck on outsourcing prints but would like to go back to the old way of doing things and keep it all in house.

Atleast that way if I loose my other job I would still have the basic knowledge and tools to take back off with the trade.

Redwave Signs

This is a design I had started for a customer, but he backed out. This is the first version, but maybe you can get some ideas.

Attachments

• Barber.jpg
    Barber.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 112

HulkSmash

Hey, is this Colorado' wife? How the he'll are ya?

...well you ain't seen the half of it :wink:
... I got 5 more letters up my sleeve if you think that's good!

well now. We've only been married 2 weeks and you're the 4th guy tryna steal her from me.

I was this close to going hawaii for our honeymoon, but i changed my mind :tongue: