• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Critique please

CanuckSigns

This sign is for a local nursing home, they are having trouble attracting new clients, one of the main problems is that the outside of the place looks pretty depressing, (old grey brick and stone) they are hoping to upgrade the look and part of that is new signage, they currently have a 3'x8' sign cabinet on the building, but it has seen better days.

They have given me free reign in terms of design, but being a nursing home, I can't see them going for anything too elaborate. the tree would be cut separate and attached to the face to give the sign a bit of dimension.

any thoughts? ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• trial.jpg
    trial.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 169

inthesignbiz

Not diggin' the dark blue on the light blue.
If it was me, I'd change all of dk blue white and
flip the colors on "Come for the Care"

showcase 66

Not sure about the colors either. Try the white like said above. Other thing for me is behind the tree. I dont like seeing the blue border through the branches or around the trunk of the tree. Kinda looks like you just slapped the tree on there. IMO

iSign

another brave soul... propped up on the firing squad ;)

I'd make the backing panel wider... make it extend beyond the tree just a tad...

I agree with the others. I like the layout, but you might play with the colors some. Also would like the tree trunk a little bigger so it would cover up the border. Other than that, I like it.

CanuckSigns

Thanks guys, I will make a few changes and re-post. iSign, I would much rather be put to the firing squad here than by my customer! this board provides an invaluable service!

CanuckSigns

Ok, I extended the backer board and agree it looks much better, plus the tree will give me a easy to hide place to put the seam. all grey lettering is now white and much easier to read. any thoughts on the "bubble" under St. Olga's?

Thanks!

Attachments

• trial rev 2.jpg
    trial rev 2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 92

Locals Find!

Ok, I extended the backer board and agree it looks much better, plus the tree will give me a easy to hide place to put the seam. all grey lettering is now white and much easier to read. any thoughts on the "bubble" under St. Olga's?

Thanks!

Better now just make the copy "Christian and Missionary Alliance" stand out more. Its really hard to read on my screen I can imagine its only going to be harder to read when its over 10 feet up in the air.

CanuckSigns

The lettering is 2" tall on the finished sign, since in the clients eyes it's the least important piece of information, i'm trying not to make it stand out too much. thanks for the feedback

Better now just make the copy "Christian and Missionary Alliance" stand out more. Its really hard to read on my screen I can imagine its only going to be harder to read when its over 10 feet up in the air.

Deaton Design

You might add a gradient background from dark to light, and move the top part down some. It looks too close to the border.:smile:

Attachments

• stolgas.jpg
    stolgas.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 76

CanuckSigns

Yeah I agree, Olga isn't the prettiest name around, I do like the warm approach, thanks for the suggestion!

...Maybe it's because Olga is in the the name?? :ROFLMAO:

The layout submitted looks COLD...it needs to be warm and inviting...

TheSellOut

Alright, I'm not going to be all mamsy pamsy on your arse just cause that "attitude" thread is going around.

I don't dig that tree at all, at least not for this type of client, it looks too childish or cartoonish. I will say that the layout has progressed in a good direction with the help of everyone and I do think it is worth presenting to your customer as one option. But it is time to put this layout aside and start working on a new one!

Here's a path I would start down for another option...you are more than welcome to use any, all, or none of it.

Attachments

• Saint Olga's.jpg
    Saint Olga's.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 81

CanuckSigns

Alright, I'm not going to be all mamsy pamsy on your arse just cause that "attitude" thread is going around.

I don't dig that tree at all, at least not for this type of client, it looks too childish or cartoonish. I will say that the layout has progressed in a good direction with the help of everyone and I do think it is worth presenting to your customer as one option. But it is time to put this layout aside and start working on a new one!

Here's a path I would start down for another option...you are more than welcome to use any, all, or none of it.

I never asked anyone to be "mamsy pamsy" with me, i've never got defensive in this thread, I'm just looking for some opinions and tips from anyone looking to give them.

I really do appreciate the fresh look, I do tend to get tunnel vision when i'm working on a design, which usually causes me to revise the current design so many times I can't remember where I started. Sometimes it never occurs to me to start fresh!

Thanks!