• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crop marks

Deere

Have a SP540V and having crop mark issues. I print,laminate, then cut. When I try to find crop marks it usually takes a half and hour or more. Is there any tricks or maybe a sensor to adjust? It eventually finds them but takes a lot of time. Any suggestions?..

fmg

Laminate gloss or matte.Sometimes the gloss reflects back onto the optical sensor and won't recognize the crop mark.Try placing a piece of matte laminate over the crop mark area and this may solve.

Wheeler

I do a manual alignment if it doesn't detect crop marks, Instructions are on page 83 in the user manual.

The instructions are not very clear after you get all the alignment marks locked in and resend to printer. It will start looking for the marks again like in auto, Just hit pause and then hit enter on the printer and it will start cutting.

Takes a little practice to figure out, After you learn how it is easy. Sometimes I think it cuts better than the auto mode.

FrankW

There is a possibility to adjust the sensor in service mode.

Remove the plastic cover from the tool carriage, and you will find a potentiometer on the left side of the cable connectors in front of the cut carriage board. Choose CROPMARK SENSE Menu in Service Menu and then OUTLEVEL CHECK (Enter). A black rectangle will be printed and the sensor will be placed above it. The value should be at minimum 2.5V, better higher. If lower (wait for the ink to dry), turn the potentiometer with a little screwdriver.

But overall there are more reliable cropmark sensors than the roland quadralign. And there are other reasons for malfunction of this sensor too (for example damaged cut carriage cable and so on).

MikeD

optical sensors can be calibrated to work on specific media that may provide low contrast against reg marks or medias with a high level of reflection

DizzyMarkus

I agree with the base point.

Load material
Allow sheet set
Set base point where crops are lined up with the cutting strip :0)
Mines finds them first trip this way (sp300v)

Markus

OADesign

This may sound silly but, have you tried cleaning the eye? Sometimes the over-spray builds up on the sensor eye making it difficult for it to detect the contrast of the crop marks. THis has work for me in the past.

SIGNTIME

Need more info, is the problem finding the first crop mark or the second or third or fourth? If your having trouble with the first crop mark then you need to start with the eye near the crop mark, and set a base point. Or put matte lam over the crop marks ( I have never had a problem with gloss laminate making it hard to "see" the marks).

If its the 2nd 3rd or 4th your having troubles with it may be your sheet wasn't put back in square. Easiest way to get the sheet in square is to line up your leading edge with the edge of the sheet cut trench assuming your leading edge is square. Also I think it's not recommended to cut over 12' linear.

JLD984

I've had a lot of trouble with this and eventually noticed it is better/worse at different times of the day. My printer is directly under the only light in the room so if there isn't enough light coming in the window it struggles to detect the crop marks. Now I just direct the spotlight on my iPhone at each crop mark as it approaches and it nearly always detects them.

Stormyj

Just another guy
I did the modification discribed in this thread:

http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...d-on-printer-for-under-17&highlight=strip+led

I love it. I have an sp-300 and it works great at detecting the crop marks. Even with gloss laminate. Had enough lights left over I put a backlight on my 60 tv and it looks amazing.

I did the same thing. Works great. ledlights1.jpg ledlights2.jpg