• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cross cutting vinyl, best options high volume

Joel golden

Hey guys,
I have an ongoing order of about 1000 pieces of 5x30 vinyl every month. Hand cutting with a 5” wide rule is ok but time consuming. I was looking to the vast knowledge of this group for suggestions. First thought was to see if just putting a roll on the graphtec and somehow setting up cross cutting would work but I’ve never had super clean cross cuts on it. Second was maybe seeing if a good dahle cross cut trimmer might be a bit safer possibly save some time. What other options can y’all come up with?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Do you have the option to "punch cut" or "Half Cut" as it's sometimes called? What size roll are you cutting from? Might be able to order a pre-cut roll at 5 x whatever then just set up a single half cut line every 30. Might even be able to set up an actual cut at 30 if your plotter allows it.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i would rig up a spool next to my paper cutter with a jig to stop the material at 5". it's gotta be faster than knife.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
could also set up a heavy duty cutting mechanism to cut through the 30" roll where by making several 5" rolls then chop on a guillotine paper cutter.

I see that that plotter does have the ability to "Half Cut". But I bet there's a way to set it up to feed out 5" then completely cut. Wouldn't be a need to cut the roll down since it's already 30".

Joel golden

could also set up a heavy duty cutting mechanism to cut through the 30" roll where by making several 5" rolls then chop on a guillotine paper cutter.

I see that that plotter does have the ability to "Half Cut". But I bet there's a way to set it up to feed out 5" then completely cut. Wouldn't be a need to cut the roll down since it's already 30".
I did order in some that was splitter cut to 5” and used my guillotine cutter on it. The problem was in the quality of the slugger made cuts. I’ve tried through Grimco and Fellers both were pretty rough.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Can we bid this for you? I know you would like to do it in house, but we run alot of production and would cut this out perfectly on our Zund. Even just a price in your back pocket in case you want to go home one Sunday night at 11:45. :) James@firesprint.com

ikarasu

How heavy duty of a guillotine do you have?

Cut into 20"x30" sheets until you.have a big stack... Cut that stack into 10"x30.... Then cut those stacks into 5x30. Rather than doing 1000 cuts you'd be doing a fraction of that depending on how good your cutter is.

We use a sheer and do 10-20,000 diamond grade cuts into that size all the time. Doesn't take too long if you can stack them pretty thick.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Is it just solid color vinyl striping? We have a slitter here that does a great job of getting straight rolls out of a log. After cutting/slitting the rolls it should be easy to chop off in 30" sections.