• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

crossover cable required?

Hotwasted

Hey guys I was just wondering I have a roland xc-540 connected directly to a 2015 laptop Asus I wondering do you need a crossover cable? I thought the Laptop would internally switch with a regular cable so cross over would not be required?

netsol

Well, the answer is yes and no
It depends on what you are plugging into.
If you are plugging into a switch , hub or router, it will AUTONEGOTIATE, and flip the pairs internally, looking for a link.

If you are using a single cable from laptop to printer PERHAPS

it depends on the device, the driver and the firmware

You will know, if you are HALF WAY THERE if you get a link light when you plug in

Then you get to fight the "unidentified network" battle (windows 7, 8 & 10)

You will not communicate UNLESS the pc is satisfied you are on a recognized network

To get around this, set a static ip on the printer, and set the ethernet on the laptop to the same subnet

IE: laptop 192.168.0.10
Subnet 255.255.255.0. (Always set subnet to this, unless you understand binary math)
No gateway needed

Printer 192.168.0.15
Subnet 255.255.255.0
No gateway needed

At this point, if you open a command prompt & ping 192.168.0.15 you should send 4 packets & GET FOUR REPLIES, no lost packets

You are ready to put that ip in your rip and start printing

Hotwasted

I’ve been using a regular network cable for quite sometime. And I’ve setup the printer as static. And my laptop with the I.P about a 100 up from the printer I.P. I’m wondering about the network cable because sometimes it’s random but my printer will stop printing the head will rerun to home position and the screen says processing and never recovers and the status bar in versaworks goes to a 100% it’s been a problem I’ve been chasing awhile. Sometimes it’s will quit 2 or 3 times before it will do a full print.

Thanks.

weyandsign

No you don't need a crossover cable. On the laptop set the IP and gateway as the same address. On the printer set the gateway as the laptop IP. To troubleshoot your problem, buy a cheap router and see if the problem stops happening.

rjssigns

I’ve been using a regular network cable for quite sometime. And I’ve setup the printer as static. And my laptop with the I.P about a 100 up from the printer I.P. I’m wondering about the network cable because sometimes it’s random but my printer will stop printing the head will rerun to home position and the screen says processing and never recovers and the status bar in versaworks goes to a 100% it’s been a problem I’ve been chasing awhile. Sometimes it’s will quit 2 or 3 times before it will do a full print.

Thanks.
Buy an Ether cable checking device. Bought mine from a PC shop for less than 20 bucks. Eliminates the "wonder if my cable is good" question. I even "ring" new cables before installation. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you have an OS newer than windows Vista, the OS figures out the connection for you and you can use either.

netsol

No you don't need a crossover cable. On the laptop set the IP and gateway as the same address. On the printer set the gateway as the laptop IP. To troubleshoot your problem, buy a cheap router and see if the problem stops happening.
no, no no
you do not set the ip and gateway as the same address
the function of the gateway is to "show the way" to things not in your own subnet (you need to be able to follow binary math for this , depending on what the subnet is)

you can have a fictitious gateway, as long as you aren't checking "validate on exit"

you do not need a gateway unless you are configuring with internet access or a larger range of addresses than your own