• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Crowd Source" design...

briankb

Premium Subscriber
There are some excellent designers and especially illustrators who are active on 99designs. We have used them in the past with excellent results to help illustrate a logo design we could not pull off as imagined internally.

It's NOT that cheap either. The listing for a logo is $299 and up, the one you linked to was over $700.

BTW you can indeed crowd source legal counsel, visit www.lawpivot.com

Farmboy

Just curious, what is it that upsets everyone about this? That you didn't come up with the idea, that you're lucky to get any cash to make a design? I don't see where this would hurt my business (I know it would take away from some of you.), if anything it would speed things up on my end if someone came to me with a design all ready to go. I'm sure there's pros and cons to this just like anything else. To be honest, if I had half the design skills that some of you on here have I'd be submitting designs on there in my spare time.

Craig Sjoquist

Sees nothing wrong with this ..if you the designer does not mind designing, just to design in hopes of a sale, more so then knocking on your door for same.

Ok so your design gets picked what percentage of the total, are you rewarded ?

Also your designs submitted that do not get picked.?

HulkSmash

What's the issue? Their designs and ideas are better than about 70% of the people on here who claim to design.

Sorry.. no pun.. but it's the business.

HulkSmash

Really, I'm more amused by the idea than discouraged by it, and I agree...there is some darn good talent on board.

It appears they prefer Adobe format over Corel (which must be coverted to an editable PDF, eps or an AI). http://99designs.com/designer-blog/2012/02/09/coreldraw-problems-publishing-as-ai-and-eps/

I wonder how many people will use this site to "fish" for ideas.

JB

I would. You'd be surprised how much inspiration you get from research.
These type of things really only bother me when people claim they did it, when they didn't.
Not calling out names but i know several companies who has used this for their own company logo.

I MUCH rather see them Crowd Source, then try to do it themselves when they are awful at it.

MichaelAlmand

well I wouldn't consider me to be awful at design but I am seriously thinking of starting to do some competitions. Being a one man operation and wearing as many hats as possible a $200 competition can save me alot of time and money. To sit with a client and design and back and forth I can spend easily up to 2 weeks. If I can get 30 designs at 99designs in 7 days and show them those proposals I think I can save myself alot of time and get the job done faster and get paid faster.
I dunno still thinking about it but I like the idea.

g&eprinting

Thats means if your ok with that you don't get more than that for a logo and you'd rather it outsourced.

So I will make a website wholesale to the public and sell them everything you offer half price and go on your site and contact all your customers and tell them that you are the rip-off.

Just competition right.

http://graphicpush.com/99designs-********-20

Just when I think the design community is becoming educated about Elance and its destructive and malignant brethren, along comes another site that appears to be even worse. 99designs, founded by some SitePoint guys, uses inane web 2.0 vernacular (“crowdsourcing”), deceivingly open-armed design (“oh look, it’s a paper airplane icon! tee-hee!”), and the thin veil of “contests” to come across as a legit alternative to traditional business practices.

One has to look no further than their About Us page to understand the fundamentally flawed and sheer asinine perspective Mark Harbottle and those that share his vision.

99designs is a disruptive startup which connects passionate designers from around the globe with savvy clients who need design projects completed in a timely fashion without the usual risk or cost associated with professional design.

Now go back and read that again, and let the multiple levels of ******** sink in before I continue. I’ll avoid pointing out the obvious idiocy (“disruptive”, “savvy clients”), which would be about as sporting as kicking a sleeping one-legged dog, and instead focus on the last part of the mission statement, “without the usual risk or cost associated with professional design.”

Hmm. Yes, by all means, we want to avoid the time and consideration professional designers offer and go right to the lowest common denominator of grade-school dropouts whose portfolio’s crown jewel is a logo for their dad’s wholesale llama manure clearing house. We definitely do not want any in-depth communication. We do not want any understanding of the company, the brand, or the direction and aspirations of the organization. We definitely do not want any long-term working relationships or any real investment in the single most important public-facing piece of design a company owns. We just want a ******* logo for $250.

g&eprinting

More from link. read the comments at bottom of link for more comedy.
http://graphicpush.com/99designs-********-20

99designs works by essentially soliciting spec work from its registered designers. You can’t just bid on a project. You have to actually do the project, submit it, and then pray. If you don’t “win,” well, you lose. The time and effort taking a shot into the dark is completely lost. Those “savvy clients” just got a ****ty design, the winner got some ****ty pittance for their effort, and all of the other ****ty designers got jack **** for their ****ty work.

Let’s look at some numbers. 99designs actually sucks more than Elance because it encourages shockingly low prices — “$50 to $500” according to their how it works page. At least Elance doesn’t presume any price point and just lets the market play itself out. Here, design being treated as a cheap commodity is mandatory.

At the time of this writing, $1,226,703 has been awarded across 346,171 entries. Second-grade math teaches us this averages out to $3.54 per entry. So playing the odds, over a long period of time, every logo (or website, or business card, or whatever) you submit cannot even buy you a Venti White Chocolate Mocha at Starbucks. By comparison, 99designs pulls in $39 for every posted “contest”. That’s more than a 10:1 differential in averaged earnings. Not only that, you have to transfer the copyright whether you want to or not, so you’re essentially engaging in a work for hire agreement.

To summarize: you’re doing spec work for third-world prices with no option for copyright retention. Everyone wins! Oh wait, except you. At the core, 99design’s business model is as evil as any oil company’s — it relies totally on the ignorance and desperation of its constituents.

And finally, perhaps most insulting is this little ditty on their about page:

99designs was started by designers for designers.

I am struggling to form the intensely negative, logic-dismantling superlatives I need to accurately convey the sheer depth of absolute ******** this clump of words was pulled from. This is one of the most hollow and forced statement I have ever seen. It insults everything about the real-world graphic design industry and the hard-working professionals that make a living building long-term client relationships, crafting deep and varied portfolios, and routinely putting their blood, sweat and tears into their work.

g&eprinting

ok giant sticker guy.

Alls it is, is a giant sticker.

it's an insult.

How much is a wrap.. Oh man allz it iz is a giant schtiwka. (for the simples)

There's room for everyone True and you get what you pay for.

in this generation who is going to create a painting worth millions, probably no one unless they did something drastically crazy which has nothing to do with the talent of the painting at all.