• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crowned Roller vs Flat

Cranniga1

We have a DryTac JM63 laminator which was purchased prior to me working here. I have recently been having a lot of problems laminating roll to roll, we get waves in the media and the only way to stop them is to raise the roller and reset the tension. The problem with this outside of being very inefficient is that if the media shifts at all when you raise or lower the roller it leaves bubbles. I had DryTac send a tech out to calibrate the machine and give me a run through on their procedure for lamination. He said that the way we do it is correct and the problem is that the rollers are crowned and meant for mounting rigid substrates versus laminating thinner medias (this was after he destroyed a long print showing me "how to correctly laminate"). His solutions were a) buy a new laminator with 2 flat rollers or b) pay for them to replace our rollers with flat ones. I am wondering if anyone laminates with crowned rollers successfully, and if it is worth it to replace the rollers or buy a new machine with flat rollers?

AF

Once you go flat, you never go back. Flat rollers pay for themselves very quickly. I recommend AGL if you decide to replace the machine.